cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12VDC lights blink,get dim and flash brightly intermittently

woodland_park
Explorer
Explorer
Travel trailer plugged into a 30 amp receptacle.New battery,checked connections at battery for the battery charger/rectifier.All lights do light, but I haven't replaced any. Maybe a bad filament in one of bulbs or intermittent rectifier? where do I start?
6 REPLIES 6

theatremusician
Explorer
Explorer
If you're still using bulbs with filaments, it's probably a good time to start thinking about LED replacements. You're using a lot more battery power than you need to.

woodland_park
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all that responded. A new converter did the trick!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could possibly also be some self-resetting circuit breakers acting up and cycling. That could be because the circuit breakers are not working properly (worn out, or bad connections causing heating), or it could be a symptom of some underlying problem (bad battery, etc.).

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The changing of the lights is really a good indication the converter/charger is having problem. Could be the Converter or a Battery bank in the first stages of a shorted cell... Check batteries for fluid levels right away. When the cells start shorting out they get real out and boil out fluids...

The age of your 1998 RV probably does not have a smart mode converter/charger installed... The newer converter/charger units really take good care of your batteries for you...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MrWizard
bad battery. bad charge converter, dirty corroded connection in the battery cables between converter and battery

i'm guessing either a bad battery with a shorted cell
or the converter is dieing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage output at your converter. If it is changing up and down and your battery is good then your converter may be going out. My brother's trailer had the same symptoms. I ended up calling the manufacturer of the converter and they said it was bad. Replaced the converter and all was good.

My brother did take the opportunity to upgrade the converter to one that included the smart charger features. If you have to get a new converter, make sure any you look at will fit the space and the wiring will match up with the existing wiring. My brother's converter was in a tight spot and I chose to have him order the same converter with the upgraded charging features so I wouldn't have to fight to try to adjust the wiring.