Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1997 Tioga not starting...

efiguero
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,
Need some guidance, so I went to get my Motor home out of storage and it did not want to start. I figured it was the battery so I took the battery home to charge it, but when I hooked it up to the charger it said it was at 100% (As I leave it disconnected when the RV is stored). So I took it back, and still no go, I store it at an RV dealership, so I asked if a mechanic could come by really quick and checked it out, he was able to start it by using a screw driver by making contact with the two screws on the solenoid, so he figured it was a bad solenoid. I got it home, swapped the solenoid, and had the same issue, after trying to start it several times, I noticed the ground strap cable (A 19 inch flat cable attached to the metal body new the windshield wipers and then attached to a screw kind of near the alternator area.) was smoking and the plastic coating was burning off it. So I figured maybe that was the issue, so I replaced it, and the motor home started up, so I figured my issue was solved.
Today, I was able to start it in the morning several times without issue, then I drove it, parked it and now it is doing the same thing.

I a couple of other things I noticed which I think are really weird, is the only way it will even try to crank over (Was starting, not it just tried to come on) is if I have the house battery connected, if I only have the main engine battery connected, it will not start, if I have the house battery connected it will try and start, the other thing is the negative terminal on the house battery is getting really hot. Lastly, for some reason now when I did get it started the airbag light came on, which it had not been on before, and the weirdest part is the dash air conditioner will run without the engine running, obviously it will not blow cold air as the compressor is not running, but the blower is will run. Not sure what to do, I am on the verge if towing it to an RV service center to get it looked at, but I hate to do that as most of those places charge you an arm and a leg. Any ideas? Is it something simple I could be missing, we drove it last for over 2000 miles without issue before we parked it for storage, and then took it out for a day last month without issue, and now this.
10 REPLIES 10

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
And... We had this exact thing happen within the last couple weeks. Battery good, starter and solenoid good, no start. Cable LOOKED good but was not made up inside what looked like a soldered connection at the terminal. NEW CABLE fixed it. Please don't screw around with those quick-fix terminals. Get a REAL cable.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
8Several correct answers above. I will capitalize it...

YOU HAVE A BAD GROUND CABLE OR CONNECTION BETWEEN THE ENGINE STARTING BATTERY AND ENGINE BLOCK. "BAD" as in cause-a-fire-bad.

That cable is SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD. Forget trying to fix it. Go to the auto parts store and replace the cable with one that is one size LARGER in thickness.

NEXT, double up on that ground strap that burned. Add a second one. Engine to chassis then another link to the sheet metal body. On motor homes I used to use FOUR GAUGE. Six gauge will do fine as well.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your RV isn't starting you head to an auto mechanic not an RV mechanic - just my 02. Have you had the chassis battery tested? That would be my first stop - the fact that most places test for free is a plus. Once you determine the battery isn't the problem then you start to check the connections one by one .. also in a ford you have a separate starting solenoid in addition to the starter.
Kevin

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Perform a basic battery maintenance.
Take of both cables and clean both posts with the wire brush tool, get rid of the dull metal coating. Now do the same for the cables until you see fresh metal.

Check cables for corrosion under the plastic.
Check battery water level.

Then try starting again.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Your ground cable to the engine has a bad connection or is non existent and that's why the ground cable to the wiper area smoked. Also, your house battery ground cable got hot because it was providing a ground path for your starter motor. Try connecting a booster cable from the engine block to the frame of the vehicle and then starting the motor.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Neutral safety switch?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
jhlady wrote:
Could be a dead cell or short within the starting battery? Try using a different starting battery and see if the problem goes away.

Just a couple quick and easy thoughts.

Good luck

what I would do. a freebie even if it is a bust.

good luck

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you have the Battery cable's hooked up correctly?
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the engine battery cables. Possibly the negative cable is loose or corroded internally and not allowing enough current to flow. I have had that happen on a car many years ago, the cable looked good. Inside the insulation on the cable the wire was nearly gone. The smaller ground strap probably melted from trying to carry the high current from the starter motor. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Could be a dead cell or short within the starting battery? Try using a different starting battery and see if the problem goes away.

Just a couple quick and easy thoughts.

Good luck