cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp RV outlet at home

kbotley
Explorer
Explorer
I recently converted from a dual hot water tank setup in my house to a single tank resulting in an unused 30amp double pole breaker. I would like to use this breaker and the 10ga wire to power a TTL-30 outlet for my RV when it's in the driveway. Since the double pole is 240V through 2 conductors and I only need 120v is it acceptable to terminate the red conductor and just use the black (hot) white (neutral) and bare (ground) on the double pole breaker?

Thanks
37 REPLIES 37

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the old 240v breakers were 2 single pole pinned together. If the above is true, just un pin it.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
so what people are saying is that with a double pole breaker, both sides must exceed load limit to trip? is that correct?
bumpy

I would have exactly the same question, but when I think of how 240 doesn't use or need a common, its probably true.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so what people are saying is that with a double pole breaker, both sides must exceed load limit to trip? is that correct?
bumpy

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Also, if you are going to reuse existing wire, cap the unused leg to prevent it from touching something.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just swap out that breaker position with a single pole 30A breaker then cover extra space with a 'filler plate' so you don't have an open space in panel cover
Or stick a 20A breaker in slot, don't connect any wires and left it off.

Filler plates at Home Depot/Lowes---couple bucks
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kbotley
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
No. The breaker will not function properly in case of an overload. It's also a code violation. Just get a single pole 30 and use it with your #10 wire.

That is my main concern that the breaker wouldn't trip on a 30 amp load on one leg of the double pole breaker.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes but you must change the breaker to a single also.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
No. The breaker will not function properly in case of an overload. It's also a code violation. Just get a single pole 30 and use it with your #10 wire.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP