cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30amp Y Splitter for 2 RV's

Galvinized
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 30amp service on my barn for the purpose of running my travel trailer electric system with A/C. It serves as a bunk house for boys and visitors. It works great.

This weekend I will have a second RV, Class C with 30 amp connectivity actually, at our place and it will be a hot week. We would like to hook up both the Class C and my TT to the single 30amp receptacle.

I assume the purpose of a 30amp Y splitter is to run two RV's out of one outlet 30am receptacle? Anyone use these before?

Thanks for your insights and experiences.
2008 Jayco
25 REPLIES 25

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Is the breaker panel located somewhere that you could install an additional breaker and wire a temporary feed for the second camper into it?

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
The 15 to 30 amp adapters are the weak point of the circuit. I made an extension cord with a 30 amp receptacle on one end and a TRUE 20 amp plug on the other. The real 20 amp plug has the hot blade cross wise to the neutral. If you have 12 ga wire to the receptacle, replace it with a real 20 amp receptacle. This eliminates the weak 15 amp adapter.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Galvinized
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the 20A outlet. But I have to use a 12ga 50' extension cord with an adaptor of course and it felt warm in the shade at the connection. That is my emergency backup plan to run it on a limited basis if I can't get a gennie. Thanks again.
2008 Jayco

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
A splitter doesn't double the amperage capability of the outlet.

Assuming the barn is on one circuit built for 30amp, yeah, a gennie is the realistic option.

Now if you have a second independent circuit with it's own breaker, you could always have them plug into that. If they aren't far from the outlet, a 20amp outlet should be enough to run the aircon.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Galvinized
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. You helped confirmed what I thought. The 30amp on the barn is great for my travel trailer, but looks like we will have to borrow or buy a gennie for the second one this weekend. Better safe than sorry. Happy camping.
2008 Jayco

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I had friends visit a few years back. They stayed in the yard and plugged into a 15 amp outlet approx. 50 feet away. I told them to be careful with their electrical usage because of it. Well, it got hot out enough they needed to use the air conditioner. After they left I noticed my outdoor portch light had stopped working so I took things apart and using that outlet with such heavy current draw melted the connections to the light enough to stop it working.

Even with a 30 amp outlet there will be very high current draw using 2 air conditioners and will likey melt some wires if not cause a fire. I was lucky as my outlet did not cause a fire but it was too close for comfort. Be very careful.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You can add a Y adapter. But there's no way the two RV's will be able to run the AC at the same time.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Have not used one. However for best results running two air conditioners set the water and fridge on propane for both RVs. No microwave, hair drier or coffee pot if the air is running.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go...

LeisureCords 24" RV Y Adapter Cord 30 Amp Male Plug to Two 30 Amp Female
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ill agree, and never seen a 30 amp splitter. Its probably a 12 2 wire. If you need 2 acs maybe run a heavy duty cord to another outlet.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My AC will trip a 15 amp breaker. If you have two RVs both running an AC, that will most likely trip the 30 amp breaker. And you sure couldnโ€™t run anything else.