cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp down to 30 amp plug -- still 50 amp?

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
From the stupid questions department .....

A fellow told us last weekend that when we plug our 30 amp plug into a 50 amp plug through a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter we still get 50 amps. That doesn't seem reasonable somehow, but is that true?

thx ....
22 REPLIES 22

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Not true. Not even close.
Although everything still works. Just not all at once on 30 amps.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you are saying that you are plugging your 30 amp RV cable into the pedestal 50 amp jack via the indicated adapter. If that is correct, you will have one leg with 120V and 50 amps available at the RV end of your cord. You will not have 50 amps inside the RV since the RV 30 amp main breaker will limit the amount available inside your RV to 30 amps. That is good since you do not want to draw 50 amps through the small wires in that 30 amp cord!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
The 50-amp outlet is capable of providing as much as 50 amps. The current is limited by the breaker to protect the wiring from service panel to power pedestal.

If you plug in a 30-amp plug using an adapter, you should be limited to 30 amps by the main breaker in your rig, which is sized to protect the RV wiring, e.g., the shore power cord.

The actual current you draw will be determined by how much stuff you are running, and what it draws in the aggregate, up to 30 amps max.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is your MAIN Breaker.............30A
That is it......30A regardless if using a 50A/30A Adapter

Point that out to 'that guy' and please do NOT allow 'that guy' to do any electrical rewire/wiring job for you
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple way to look at it - if you could get 50A thru a 30A plug why would they ever have installed 50A plugs? And, would a 30A plug then really be a 30A plug, or would it be a 50A plug?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what happens when you plug a 50A (MALE) to 30A (FEMALE) adapter at the camp ground pedestal...

As you can see only one HOT leg of the 50AMP service is being used. Even if you are plugged into a higher amps leg your internal 30A circuit breaker will only allow you to use 30A of current.

Usually the connections are much cleaner on the 50AMP side as they really don't get used as much as the 30A service does...

We use the 50A(M) to 30A(F) adapter all the time in order to get better 120VAC service sometimes...

We have never had any problems using the RV50A(M) to 30A(F) adapters

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Although it may be possible to draw 50a through the wire, your onboard main 30a breaker will see to it that doesn't happen.

If I may read into your question a bit, amps are not "pushed" like voltage, so if the fellow was trying to caution you that you may have too much power for some things, it's not true.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
You get 30 amps through 1 leg at 120V. With a 50 amp plug, you get two 120V 50 amp "legs" for a total of 100 amps on two different 50 amp circuits.

Edited, my mistake on understanding he is tying into a 50 amp 2 leg pedestal with a 30 amp cord. He'll have the full 30 amp capacity in his RV /TT.

2oldman below is correct.