cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A small in size generator to carry along in a class "C"?

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm still debating between a class "C" or a "B", but one of the things I want to bring along is a small in size, inverter generator, even though the motorhome will have an Onan onboard. A few reasons why:

• I can locate the generator physically away from my vehicle, so it doesn't feel like a Magic Fingers bed.
  • I really don't need 2800 or 4000 watts when just powering up a converter, so being able to save fuel is nice.
  • If the house batteries are too low, the Onan won't power on, so having a "black start" ability with a recoil start generator can't hurt.
  • For tasks like running a generator for battery charging, I'd rather put it on a less expensive unit for long run time.

What would people recommend for a small inverter generator for low wattage applications too small to bother firing up the onboard Onan? The Powerhouse 500 watt one looks OK at $350. For what I would be using it for, the capacity is a bit puny, but enough to charge batteries and run basic stuff. Next step up is a Honda EU2000i Companion which would handle virtually everything but the A/C.
37 REPLIES 37

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, I borrowed a friends Honda 1000W to charge the batteries during a winter camping trip. It was perfect for the situation. Use little gas, was quiet, keep the batteries charged while we ran the furnace in the evening.

So I went out and bought a Yamaha 2000 and it is perfect for use. It keeps the batteries topped up and runs everything (except the AC), quiet, uses 1 tank (1/2 gallon?) of gas per day.

I have since moved over to 300?W solar and rarely use the generator.
Gerry

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, I borrowed a friends Honda 1000W to charge the batteries during a winter camping trip. It was perfect for the situation. Use little gas, was quiet, keep the batteries charged while we ran the furnace in the evening.

So I went out and bought a Yamaha 2000 and it is perfect for use. It keeps the batteries topped up and runs everything (except the AC), quiet, uses 1 tank (1/2 gallon?) of gas per day.

I have since moved over to 300?W solar and rarely use the generator.
Gerry

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have our Class C setup almost like what the OP wants ... a built-in Onan and we carry along a very quiet Honda 650 watt suitcase generator. The little Honda's noise level is 54 dB at all loads it can handle and runs 5-6 hours on 1/2 gallon of gas. These two gennys together make for a very flexible RV drycamping power mix that doesn't require the sun. The Onan is not noisey enough to irritate and does not vibrate the interior of the coach. We have drycamped with it running the air conditioner almost all night while we slept.

Regarding any fumes from running a built-in Onan ... whenever we run it for any length of time it we close up everything in the RV except one reversible powered roof vent. We set it's fan to AIR IN on the lowest setting so as to slightly pressurize the interior of the coach. This simple trick keeps all Onan fumes out of the interior because they cannot enter due to this air pressure - it doesn't take much. This trick also works to keep all dust out of the interior when traveling on gravel or dirt roads.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For the price of the inverter generator, the OP could go solar and have totally quiet power for recharging the battery bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
It amazes me how many people misunderstood (perhaps) the original poster's question. :S

What would people recommend for a small inverter generator for low wattage applications too small to bother firing up the onboard Onan?

He wasn't asking if he should carry along a small generator, nor was he asking for alternatives. :R

I would recommend a Honda 1000 or a Honda 2000 generator. Definitely nothing smaller than a 1000 watt generator.

HUH? :h Your post makes NO sense :R - first you're claiming the OP "wasn't asking if he should carry along a small generator, nor was he asking for alternatives" when in fact he was, THEN you yourself go on to "recommend a Honda 1000 or a Honda 2000 generator" which are of course "small generators". HUH?!!! :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree at least a 1000 watt genny would be the minimum. A 2K watt unit would be the most versatile and still be manageable to carry along. Of course Yamaha and Honda are popular and don't forget Champion as they are well received and have great customer service.

I understand your viewpoint as we have an Onan that hasn't missed a beat under very demanding conditions for 10 years and 1K hours. For some of the same reasons we picked up a portable inverter genny although we haven't ever had any issues starting the Onan as we have solar as well.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:
but one of the things I want to bring along is a small in size, inverter generator
3oaks wrote:
He wasn't asking if he should carry along a small generator,

Huh?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
It amazes me how many people misunderstood (perhaps) the original poster's question. :S

What would people recommend for a small inverter generator for low wattage applications too small to bother firing up the onboard Onan?

He wasn't asking if he should carry along a small generator, nor was he asking for alternatives. :R

I would recommend a Honda 1000 or a Honda 2000 generator. Definitely nothing smaller than a 1000 watt generator.

True but sometimes people head off in a direction without thinking that direction all of the way through. Others may have already headed that direction and found out it wasn't the best.

And your quote wasn't his whole posting. If he didn't want a discussion, why did he post his points? He could have only posted your quote.

If you came up to me and asked how far down this street is Costco, I would tell you that it's a half mile - but wouldn't you have likeed to known that the road was all tore up around the corner and the detour to get there is the other direction?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest trying out the onboard generator of various class C's before buying a portable. The installations vary some in their quality. A good Onan installation doesn't have to have a great deal of noise and vibration inside the motorhome, and has some significant advantages over a portable (pushbutton start form the inside, no setup or tear down, a gas tank that's many times as large, much less chance of theft, no need to figure out where and how to store it without getting gas fumes on other stuff....) That's not to say that the portable inverter generators don't have other advantages, of course.

I think you'd save more gas when battery charging (and generator run time) by getting a top-notch converter rather than a portable generator, and also incidentally save some money in the process.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you are going to have an on board generator I would go with a Honda/Yamaha 1000.
If the oem converter proved too large I would get a second smaller converter dedicated for this purpose of keeping the battery up.

Although if you are parked in the sun much 200 watts of solar would sure work well.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, better to have more batterys and solar.
Think big picture

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Generac IQ 2000 small quieter and cheaper than the Honda.

It will handle all the small needs without all the noise of a ONAN.

If I need A/C I can always fire up the ONAN but this thing does everything else.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
Like you stated, it'll run everything except the AC. Even then, I have run the AC by turning everything else off including the converter/charger. I do like my Honda.

No longer the case, it can. The issue isn't running current but compressor starting current - solve that and an EU2000i can reliably power a 13,500 BTU A/C. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I wouldn't go with anything smaller than the 1000W Honda. A 500W or 650W generator isn't going to put out enough power for decent charging.

I would not consider doing this AT ALL.
The convenience of just pushing that button is worth a LOT.

The less expensive portables are generally noisy and might be worse than a built-in.

I DO, however, carry a portable "jumper battery" unit with an inverter and compressor; less than $100 and it has come in handy a couple of times.

In addition to that, most will automatically "bridge" the truck battery when the engine is running (if it is working properly) so you can start the truck for a few minutes and then start the generator after you get a bit of a charge in the house batteries.

Anyway....you don't NEED to do anything until AFTER you actually get an RV.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"