cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC / Supco assistance needed

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping the AC experts can weigh in here. I'd read a lot about the Supco Spp6e and how much it can help with a smaller generator, so I ordered one up. Climbed on the roof yesterday to do the install, and it appears my AC may already have one.

My questions are, do I already have a hard start cap - it appears so from the schematic and looking at the photos. And if so, am I better off swapping out the stock for the SPP6 or run it in parallel?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

18 REPLIES 18

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES. The OEM Start Assist Capacitor AND the associated PTCR device BOTH need to be removed. If you were installing a SUPCO SPP6 (no "e") it has its own PTCR built in and you need only the one built into the SUPCO unit.
The SUPCO SPP6e (E-Class) has a built in electronic device that approximates a Potential Relay, and that's all you need with it. Another PTCR would only interfere with either SUPCO device.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Chris (or anyone else), I did install the Supco in place of the stock unit and it seems to work identically. However, I'm wondering if the PTCR should have been removed when I installed this?

Any clarification any of you can give would be greatly appreciated!

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
chris,

Thank you for the quick response - replacing the stock with the supco should be easy enough. The black capacitor is the starting cap, correct? What is the 'PTCR' inline with the starting cap? Should this go inline with the supco as well?

This is a 9000 BTU coleman unit. I'm not sure what the model is as my paperwork doesn't say - but it says 'low profile 9000k btu' in the build sheet for the trailer. Had I bought the trailer new I likely would have opted for the 13.5k, but I didn't. Ironically, the 9k costs more than the 13.5!

I have noticed the AC will not attempt to restart when it is shut off for a few minutes - assuming this is the effect from the high pressure switch?

I guess the good news is this should run on my Honda 2000 if the converter isn't in boost mode, so maybe I don't need the twins anymore!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You do have a start kit installed, which is the equivalent of the Supco SPP6. In my opinion, the SPP6E would be better with a genset than the stock part. You would replace the existing kit.
What model is that? I haven't seen a high pressure switch in one before.
-- Chris Bryant