cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have compressor but no fan. Is there a run/start capacitor on these units? I am on the road currently and am about to head south to AZ from the Olympic Penn. Bought the trailer from Camping World and the unit is still under warranty but I can't take the "we are 3 weeks out in our service appointments" delay from all the service places. So if someone else services the AC then it voids the warranty right? suggestions are indeed welcome.
10 REPLIES 10

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't read much about it, but "Advent Air" is a Chinese knockoff on the Dometic brand of RV A/C. "Brisk Air" I believe, maybe "Penguin." They've only been on the market a few years and the feedback we've gotten here has been mixed. They have this website that doesn't really say much. Their "Service Centers" page, for example, shows a map full of pinpoints but no way to select one and see who it is. Also no ZIP Code lookup like many firms offer.
For Dometic and RVP/Coleman, it's easy to look up wiring diagrams and parts lists. I didn't find any such on Advent. Here's a sample of their sorry troubleshooting manual:

"5. Compressor runs; no fan; (cool or Heat mode)
a. Remove outer shroud and see if fan motor will spin freely."

We have a couple RV techs who visit this forum and can often offer some solid tips. Hopefully we can help you. This could be difficult...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:
wnjj wrote:
The capacitor is for the compressor, not the fan.

Wrong!

The relevant capacitor is for the compressor. The fan should run without one; it's just less efficient.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. It is a new trailer. Was a '13 model built in Dec. '12 that we purchased in Feb. of '14. It is a ducted, thermostatically controlled AC unit and I am not sure of the brand. Thermostat has Advent Air on it. I received no book in the paper work on it when we got the unit. I am heading into Port Angeles on Monday so I may give Eric's RV a visit. Thanks again.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a new trailer with new trailer warranty?
Or used trailer from CW with "their used vehicle warranty?" I'm using quotes not to say I think that's bad, but it would affect if you'd have to pay for repairs or be reimbursed.
Are the A/C controls on the unit itself (usually that way on non-ducted A/C)? Or do you have a Wall Thermostat controlling it?
Can you safely get onto the roof and remove the shrouding from the unit for a look-see? I'd like to see Make/Model of the A/C, a pic of the Wiring Diagram, and ideally a pic of the capacitors. On ours, an "RVP (RV Products) "Coleman" there's a plate about the size of a paperback book cover on the driver side. To be safe, unplug the trailer power supply. And for now, just LOOK and PHOTO but don't TOUCH any of the wiring or terminals inside that cover.
x2 on Bud's suggestion to check at Eric's RV.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check with Eric's RV in Sequim, WA near Port Angeles.
Sounds like maybe a connector could have come apart or yes a bad part.
Make and model of AC unit would help.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
The capacitor is for the compressor, not the fan.

Wrong!
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
There IS a Fan Run Capacitor. Probably around 7.5-mfd as opposed to around 45-mfd for the Compressor. Compressor may or may not also have a Start Capacitor but Fan will not.
Fan Motors DO go bad. Can be Bearings or Windings.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Have you check to see if there is an obstruction blocking the blades from turning? As far as the warranty - they are typically funded by the mfg so look online and find out who provides warranty work for Coleman or whatever brand you have.
Kevin

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The capacitor is for the compressor, not the fan. Have you told the places you've called that you're traveling? I can't believe they wouldn't fit you in for such a seemingly minor issue.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
find a mobile tech