Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjustable Thermostat for a 6 gallon RV Water Heater

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Click Me for Reference topic

I want to reduce the temperature of my hot water (HW) heater. I used to own a trailer with an adjustable thermostat on the LP water heater but my truck camper does not have one. The old trailer HW heater had a continuously lit pilot light that I had to manually start at the HW unit itself.

My previous house had a High Efficiency 40 gallon LP HW heater with electronic ignition and an adjustable thermostat. Is an adjustable thermostat available or adaptable for a 6 gallon RV tank?

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side
13 REPLIES 13

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Google "water heater bacteria temperature"

A water heater not hot enough is a breeding ground for bacteria.

RKB
Explorer
Explorer
Consider wiring your own thermostat in line.

I use the following:

Inkbird Dual Stage 12V Digital Temperature Controller Fahrenheit Thermostat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019I3YCFS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_3bZhiB31B6iNM

Wire it in series and your existing thermostat will act as a high temp safety.
2014 Northern Lite 9-6 QSE
2005 F350 6.0 CC LB SRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Homeless by Choice wrote:
DrewE

105F Warn is much better than cold. I want my LP for furnace and fridge. Water and dump sites are readily available compared to LP refill stations.

Old-Biscuit
Sorry, I should have initially included that info.

It is an Atwood, 6 gallon, LP only, model G6A-8E water heater.

Edit: It has "E.C.O." on a rubber cover where the four wire go thru.

LeRoy

The rubber cover is actually a foam insulating pad so T-stat & ECO are not exposed to outside air and only to tank wall temp
T-stat can be replaced with the Optional Adjustable T-stat (110*F - 150*F)

It comes with a bracket to hold the larger size t-stat.
Small screw adjustment on face to set temp t-stat opens at (the lower the set temp the lower the temp has to go before t-stat closes to reheat)
BROWN Wires connect to it....short pigtails are included.

Atwood Adjustable----93105

Atwood DOES have an optional Fixed 130*F T-stat -----91470
(IS a 130*F fixed but SOME packages/advertisements list it as `120*F)

ECO (Energy Cut Off...Hi Temp T-stat) remains in place. It is set to Open at 180*F and shut down ALL heating.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
WHy not use one of these for the shower...

Thermostatic shower valve

Because I want to save on LP usage. Why heat six gallons of water super hot and then only use one gallon mixing it with cold water and let the rest of the hot water cool down?

Edit: fixed spelling
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHy not use one of these for the shower...

Thermostatic shower valve
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
From what I’ve read (sometime, somewhere) part of the reason for the higher temps was to make sure it kills bacteria. Not sure of the validity, but perhaps something to think about.

I kept my house HW heater somewhere between 105-110F for 20 years without a problem. I would be more concerned about fresh water going bad from warm temperature (because I drink it) than I am about HW.

But thank you for your comment.
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I’ve read (sometime, somewhere) part of the reason for the higher temps was to make sure it kills bacteria. Not sure of the validity, but perhaps something to think about.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE

105F Warn is much better than cold. I want my LP for furnace and fridge. Water and dump sites are readily available compared to LP refill stations.

Old-Biscuit
Sorry, I should have initially included that info.

It is an Atwood, 6 gallon, LP only, model G6A-8E water heater.

Edit: It has "E.C.O." on a rubber cover where the four wire go thru.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First off...
Suburban OEM t-stat is 130*F ....they offer an optional 140*F t-stat
Atwood OEM t-stat is 140*F....NO optional fixed temp t-stat BUT they do have an optional 110*F - 150*F adjustable style that replaces the fixed 140*F t-stat

IF you have an Atwood
If you have a Suburban then no lower temp replacement is available
BUT IF you have a Suburban GAS ONLY then an DIY mod can be done using a residential water heater adjustable t-stat. Install it in the open area to left of propane st of t-stats (place where the electric set would be installed)
The residential t-stat would have to be tied into the OEM propane set ----but it would be controlling temp and still have High temp shut off from OEM t-stat

SO which BRAND/MODEL do you have....???? (really helps with responses!)

Personally I do not like 'mixing valves'....they are problematic as it doesn't take much to clog hot in from water heater so that one does not get ANY hot water.

T-stat temps
Small volume tanks require hotter initial temps so hot water will last longer.......end user tempers it by mixing in cold water at the faucet/shower
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
105F max? That's hardly hot water in my book, closer to warm...but I guess that's neither here nor there.

You can still get manual pilot RV water heaters, and they have a manual adjustable thermostat similar to a household water heater. Another option might be to install a thermostatic mixing valve (sometimes called a tempering valve) at the water heater output and set it for whatever temperature you deem appropriate.

I don't think there's too much of an energy use difference in the grand scheme of things. Not too much heat is radiated to the outside world from the water heater even at 140 degrees or so. That said, a lower temperature will be somewhat more efficient, as the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperature (in this case between the water temperature and the ambient temperature), and heat thus transferred is "lost" and must be resupplied by the burner or element.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
close to you requirements. Adjusts from 110° to 150°.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
No.
But I do believe that both brands do offer two different ranges. You might try to determine if you have a 140 or 150 degree limit.

I am aware of the two ranges but they are WAY TOO HOT, way too energy inefficient*, and way too dangerous for children use. I would prefer a 105 shut off. If McDonalds gets sued for hot coffee spilled in the lap, I would believe that the HW heater manufactures would be concerned about kids being burnt.

(I am not suggesting any lawsuits here. I am just making a comparison.)

Maybe I should have Titled this thread "How could a HW heater be modified for 105F max".

For all the workarounds that have been posted for RV items, I would think that someone come create one for HW heaters.

* I dry camp a lot and running low on LP is a major inconvenience.

Thanks,
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.
But I do believe that both brands do offer two different ranges. You might try to determine if you have a 140 or 150 degree limit.