cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM battery

flyingfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have experience with AGM battery in your RV? In particular the Optima yellow or blue top. Or I guess any other type of AGM battery. Any reason not to use them?
Thanks,
Dave
20 REPLIES 20

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I do not mean to steal the thread or sound like an idiot, BUT I am curious about the statement "Optima has the lowest capacity to foot print because of their spiral cells".. Everything I have ever heard about Optima's is that it is about the spiral design that gives them more power in the smaller foot print? I have purchased Optima's and by any measurement CCA's etc. they are smaller than a similar rated traditional battery, so I am confused as to where you got your information??

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
flyingfarmer wrote:
Anybody have experience with AGM battery in your RV? In particular the Optima yellow or blue top. Or I guess any other type of AGM battery. Any reason not to use them?
Thanks,
Dave

We installed two Optima Blue tops in march of 03 in our trailed and they are still in the trailer doing a great job. Be sure and use the Blue Tops if you go with Optima.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi flying,

AGM are fine. Optima have the lowest capacity to "foot print" because of the design of their spiral cells. I'd prefer a more traditional design. A group 29 AGM usually comes in at about 100 amp-hours.

It is important to follow the directions of the AGM maker regarding charging profiles. If they are not treated correctly, lifespan can be reduced FAST!

Lifeline makes a wonderful AGM. Prepare to have deep pockets.

flyingfarmer wrote:
Thanks,
Dave
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Optima Blue Top for years. I have two of them in our 5'ver. I also have two yellow top in the F350. They have been in there since January 2013 -- just about 2 years with no problem whatsoever.

Enjoy the road. We do.

bidgon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
If it's for the house battery, just be sure to get a true deep cycle battery. I agree that they are about the best in many ways, but pricy.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I use two Group 34 AGM. There is nothing other than price that keeps people away!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!