cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner causing fridge temp to rise

joem789
Explorer
Explorer
After spending a few years in my 2003 KZ Sportsmen, this is the first year I have had to deal with temperature related issues with my fridge. I noticed it began having problems staying cold. I usually have my Norcold on 6. But just to keep things cold enough I have had to put it on 9. The highest setting. I chalked it up to the reason being the hot, humid weather we have been having. But had decided to do some experiments to get to the bottom of it.

At first I tried removing the rain cap to allow heat to move it faster. AT times I seemed to help. At other times, not so much. Then I tried leaving the cover off the back wall of the fridge. Also, putting up a tarp to keep the sun off that opening. I even put a small fan in there to help move air upwards better. This didn't really solve the problem.

The fridge does manage to make it down to 26 through the night when things cool down more. Today we had a mild day for a change. So I didn't run the ceiling AC. The fridge stayed at 27 all day long. Even after the sun came out to torture us. Later in the afternoon, I decided to run the AC. Not 10 minutes later, the fridge was showing 33. Then finally went up to 37, which has been typical. So I am thinking there is heat coming from somewhere in the ceiling that is affecting the cooling unit. Or is this just a coincidence?

Any ideas?
21 REPLIES 21

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, the door gaskets come to mind now... When you store the rig, do you leave the fridge doors open?

It seems you are talking about the freezer, so if your freezer isn't getting cold, how cold is your actual fridge??

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When I had my fridge out, there was openings into the attic where the roof vent penetrated the ceiling. Since that can only disrupt air flow, I sealed them up with foil tape.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Have you inspected the door gaskets? Wondering if the A/C somehow causes the gaskets to leak more air. It's telling that only the food in the front of your freezer is warmer.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Check your voltage. The heating element in the fridge is electric, and adding the AC load is probably causing your voltage to drop, so that the heating element does not get as hot. Try running the fridge on gas and see if that helps.
I keep one of these plugged in all the time, in a location that I can see.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

joem789
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone to the top. But can't really tell whether the heat coming out is increased. I basically feel the chimney effect on my hand.

I have noticed when I put my hand on the wall on the upper fridge side (above the stove), it feels warmer. That would be the air space above the fridge.

In the back half of the freezer, things freeze. But they don't so much on the front side. So I have to place a foil barrier inside to get meats freezing fully 24 hours later. Cups on the door do not freeze. They used to. Clearly this fridge is putting out less on 9 then it was on 6 just a month ago. It has become super sensitive to temperature changes. Although this has never been the case in the past. So I am trying to get to the bottom of "what went wrong". Thanks.

I would like to mention I have tried unplugging the thermistor for a day. As well as tried sliding it up towards the top of the fin, which helped some. But not enough. The fridge worked so well before that the fins on the right end would ice over regularly in the summer months. But lately, there is little to no frost. Except in the back of the freezer. But zero "freezer fog" when you open the door.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do you want your fridge below 32*? I like mine at around 38*. The freezer is down to around 10* and keeps everything frozen??

Or am I not understanding your terminology?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since you've removed the rain cap, have you turned on the AC and then gone up top to see if there's any air movement out the firdge vent?
Curious to know!