cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner dripping during downpour

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
During a recent heavy downpour, water was dripping from the filter grills of our Dometic Penguin Duo Therm air conditioner. (The air conditioner was not running.)

What might be the cause? How can this be corrected?
7 REPLIES 7

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The proper compression on a new gasket is to mash it down with the bolts till it's only 1/2 as thick as it was coming off the shelf. Figure tight won't be sufficient.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
May not apply to your system but on my Class B the AC sometimes tripped in a heavy rain even when it wasn't running (or running and water is condensing out). I discovered that the way it is mounted, if I am parked with the back high by a few inches that water collects and runs over the lip into an area of the AC that eventually runs out the vent. No problem driving or if the camper is relatively flat or nose high.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just so you know, canโ€™t be done from the inside on a Newmar. Have to go topside but same solution.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hold down bolts should be SNUG......
Waht is SNUG?
Finger tight then just a bit more
Tech Specs.....40 INCH pounds (that is INCH not foot pounds)

Roof gasket...
should be compressed 1/2 of its thickness
New are 1" so installed should be 1/2"
Over compression will crush gasket/distort it/possibly block drip tray drain holes AND could warp roof line causing low spots
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Finger tighten those bolts from the inside and see if it stops the leak.

Yep, that should be regular maintenance.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finger tighten those bolts from the inside and see if it stops the leak.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The air conditioner just sits on a square gasket that's compressed with 4 bolts that squeeze the gasket between the roof and the bottom of the air conditioner. The bolts go through the metal frame that holds the filter rack to the ceiling. It's rare but those gaskets do need replacing after years of use.

My a/c leaked when I parked at the curb on a rainy day. The water poured in! When I replaced the gasket I found a low hanging telephone wire had been caught by the air conditioner as the motorhome passed under it. It pulled the gasket out of place. It only leaked when the MH was tilted toward the curb.

You never know, even if you bought your RV new, where it's been or what might have happened to it while it's not in your possession.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System