cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air hose quick connect for gas?

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a Camco propane quick connect kit for my BBQ on the exterior of my trailer. On the BBQ side of the hose is there a problem with using air hose quick connect fittings?
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
27 REPLIES 27

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Deadly incorrect advice from those stating it is ok to use air fittings.
The difference is that air fittings are designed to seal with high pressure and gas quick disconnects with lower pressure.

Lol, air hose quick connectors are designed to seal throughout a broad range, from very low pressure to very high pressure, just as you see in common use everywhere with everyone who uses air compressors and air tools

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
There is also the insurance aspect. First thing the insco is going to do is look for a source of ignition. They find a steel fitting which is good enough for blowing the air out of the lines come fall or filling a tire... but obviously not rated, nor designed for LP gas.

The adjuster smirks, does a final writeup, closes the claim as willful criminal negligence and the insurance company doesn't pay a dime.

BS
Did you know that if you are paying the premiums, the only way an ins co can get away w/ not paying, is if it is proven to be fraud, meaning that it was not a mistake, that you installed the incorrect equipment for the purpose of burning it to collect on the ins money.

Ever heard of mistakenly leaving the keys in the ignition of a stolen vehicle, and ins not forced to pay ? So have I,......all BS
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I've already thrown in the towel. Went looking for fittings today. 4 most likely places. No luck. I'll have to get them on-line after our Siskiyou trip.
One point. Under the trailer is all up to code. Black pipe and fittings, yellow teflon where appropriate, and a Camco propane quick connect kit on the end. The question was about the other end of the hose. The BBQ isn't insured, so i don't worry about the adjuster.
I do have a worry, though. I was under the trailer spraying Glass Plus and I found a small gas leak. Where the black pipe ends, Keystone used a flare fitting with white teflon tape to connect to the black pipe. I'll have to figure out how to correct that one.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is also the insurance aspect. First thing the insco is going to do is look for a source of ignition. They find a steel fitting which is good enough for blowing the air out of the lines come fall or filling a tire... but obviously not rated, nor designed for LP gas.

The adjuster smirks, does a final writeup, closes the claim as willful criminal negligence and the insurance company doesn't pay a dime.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
OK, OK! Off to Wally World I go. Hate to have a 1/2 psi fireball at the BBQ!

Wonder how long gas leaking at 1/2 psi would take to leak enough to explode, and blow the camper to bits?

I think that may be a bit "dramatic" to say the least.

More likely a fire hazard than explosion.

Generally to get an explosion you would have to have some containment to get that.

With a leak more like a big hot fireball.

The danger with LP gas is it is heavier than air, it HUGs the ground and can do so for a pretty good distance if no air movement (quiet still day).

In a nutshell, your big ball of flame could go UNDER the RV and even engulf the RV.. If one was inside they would be trapped with now where to go.

That is why I really recommend using the proper gas rated QDs..

The right tool for the job.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RSD559 wrote:
OK, OK! Off to Wally World I go. Hate to have a 1/2 psi fireball at the BBQ!

Wonder how long gas leaking at 1/2 psi would take to leak enough to explode, and blow the camper to bits?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
air hose fittings aren't designed to seal well, and usually don't seal well, at the low pressures of the gas fittings (0.5psi). Even at higher pressures they aren't designed to insure a complete seal.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
All excellent points.
"You want to install a fitting that would allow any air hose or tool to be connected to a propane tank? What could possibly go wrong?"
you could make a nifty fire starter with an air blow gun, but I don't think it will spin any of my other air tools. Yep, I know. I'm egging folks on. I'm a glutton for punishment.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
You want to install a fitting that would allow any air hose or tool to be connected to a propane tank? What could possibly go wrong?
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Dannyabear1 wrote:
The o-rings seals in them are generally different material also
Exactly. That was the point I was going to add.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Proper fittings have nitrile o rings. Also use the proper Teflon tape (yellow) or a good sealant like Jomars.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many air hose fittings tend to leak a bit, the tolerances and seals are not all that great.. I would NOT consider using them for propane.

After all.. The instructor was reading the quesion: "What happens if you get the proper mix of propane and air and there is a spark?"

I chimed up from across the room where I was doing my web thing.... "You land two counties over".. After the laughter died.. the instructor said "Exactly".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times