cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airtabs on Rubber Roof

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in hearing of any users of Airtabs who have them installed on their rubber roof RV's. Do they stick on?? Any problems with roof membrane lift etc??

Scorp.
16 REPLIES 16

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
By reducing the vacuum behind the rig it makes sense that it would improve stability. I use the Reese dual-cam and have a pretty stable outfit, but I do get some push/pull from the big rigs and I like this idea.

If I did not want to install them along the top I wonder if I would still get a benefit by running them along both sides? I expect there would still be a benefit, but less of one. If I get inspired I might start with both sides and then decide later if I will apply along the top. The rig is under cover for the off-season so I will not be doing anything soon. Just thought this was a neat idea.

Thanks,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far I haven't had a real long run,only about 200 miles, to see any MPG results, I really think it will not be a large amount of difference. We ran Vortex generators on some of our trailers when I was working and saw some amount of fuel savings and over the road stats that made them worth while in the very large amount of miles that we traveled. It also stabilized the trailers in windy and inclement weather,as an added bonus it kept the rear doors cleaner and free of debris and ice.

My findings so far is that it has greatly reduced the push from being passed by trucks and passing them,also the handling in windy conditions has improved,and the rear of the RV is cleaner.

I did this for better stability,not so much for better MPG but any savings would be a plus. So far I am happy with the results.

When I get more miles on them I will return and put those findings up.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD - what benefits have you observed?
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
A freight hauler might drive hundreds of thousands of miles a year. For them a savings of .25 or .5 mpg adds up to real money, making the investment potentially something that pays off. To us with trailers - not so much. I'm skeptical we would even notice and very skeptical that it would pay off.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronfisherman wrote:
You could put a strip of EternaBond under the AirTabs.

Exactly what I did,already had Eternabond covering the rear seam so I put another 4 in strip down and put Air Tabs on. Before I did that I used one to experiment on a piece of Eternabond. After it was on I could not get to come off,that is some good adhesive that they use on the Air Tabs.
Buying A Rental Class C

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen them on a few 18 wheelers, but you almost have to look for them. They aren't that obvious on that type rig.

I installed them on my RV along the sides and the roof. I didn't try to attach them to the rubber part of the roof. Instead, I had enought fiberglass on the edge of the roof to glue most of the airtab on that, and for the pointed end that faces to the rear I filled-in some of the gap underneath with silicone just to give it some support and keep it from vibrating in the wind. After six years, they're still there as originally fixed.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are probably some that run them just like air foils and other devices. But they run hundreds of thousands of miles a year over long distances in most cases so any gain is worth it. For most RV'ers they don't travel many miles in a year so any gain would be minimal and hard to see. And might never offset the cost. IMO

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Do air tabs actually help fuel mileage. I would think if they did that several major freight carriers would be using them.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Is there romm on top of the end cap for airtabs? I thought the tabs are supposed to go on the "edge" of the roof.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about mounting a 6" wide strip of lexan to the roof, edge to edge, with a gap in the middle for my skylight. EternaBond it to the rubber, and attach the airtabs to that. The are so expensive for 30' worth... 8.25 per foot (for 3).
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

rvroofinstaller
Explorer
Explorer
If anything use bytle tape between the roof and Air Tab then screw down the cover the screws with a 4" fiber backed seam tape and coat.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd,Here is all there is to know about Air Tabs Just click around.
Air tabs
Also a few threads on the subject.

HERE

And HERE

They may have some answers for you.

On Edit: I found a video of someone that put them on a rubber roof,I have the same model only in a class C and it has a rubber roof.
Air Tab Install
Buying A Rental Class C

ronfisherman
You could put a strip of EternaBond under the AirTabs.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ereed52
Explorer
Explorer
Click here for info airtab