cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any one using one of the new Harbor Freight generators ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of short use test on YouTube, but I would like to hear from people who have run multiple tanks of fuel through one !
18 REPLIES 18

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
DennisVR wrote:
I bought the 3500 Predator last summer to try out for $649.00. I have over 500 hrs on it and its doing fine. Very happy with it.
Wow, I don't have even half that many hours on my 15 year old eu2000i.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"hope you're not subjecting your campground neighbors to that racket maker!"

I happen to be a considerate-camper. I run the exhaust hose through one of their open windows

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
Yes, which one? I have a Tailgator that I have used for almost a year. Does a great job of charging the batteries.

I would definitely run that on a rich oil mixture AND carry a couple of spare spark plugs.

I have never heard of one of those little generator lasting more than a couple hundred hours !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for not being clear !

When I said new, I was referring to any of the Predator "super quiet" INVERTER generators.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard good things about the Predator 3500 from HF, glad somebody has chimed in with over 500 hours of usage. Hopefully they will add a remote start feature for those who want to give their Onans a break.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP is asking about "one of the new Harbor Freight generators", most likely it's about an inverter type. The little 2 cycle generator has been around for years.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
accsys wrote:
Finally, after many snarky posts, we got an answer to the OP's question!!!
Maybe. OP has not responded as to which one he's talking about.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Finally, after many snarky posts, we got an answer to the OP's question!!!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

DennisVR
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 3500 Predator last summer to try out for $649.00. I have over 500 hrs on it and its doing fine. Very happy with it.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I researched and researched and ended up with a WestinghouseWH2200iXLT Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator - 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts - Gas Powered - CARB Compliant. Oh, I realized, I have the unit prior to this with the only difference being it won't run in parallel.

It has 277 reviews on Amazon with a 4.5 out of 5 rating. And costs 479 bucks. When Westinghouse brought this out a few years ago, they went right at Honda. It WILL run an air conditioner due to how it is engineered for start up and is extremely quiet like in the Honda range or better, yes better or at least equal.

Essentially, Westinghouse has an arsenal of patents and decided to use a few of them to create this unit. One has some counter-rotating fans that reduce noise and then something that addresses initial load that shuts down many other units.

Here is a thread on another site where an engineer tests the various units against normal RV type use. https://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=119313.0

This is sort of a hidden gem of a generator. I live and camp above 4000 feet and it served me well when I was pop up camping including airco use for quite a few years now. Very quiet. I had a neighbor camper one time who took his dog out early and we had run it to make coffee and it was on eco and we were sitting right next to it talking and he walked by and finally heard the low thrum and came over and said, he really doesn't like generators but wrote down this one particularly when he heard I paid less than 500 for a quality unit.

OH, Costco has a Yamaha for a killer price right now in the stores. I was amazed at the price.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a Champion, just as cheap and is a good generator
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
azrving wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Son of Norway wrote:
Yes, which one? I have a Tailgator that I have used for almost a year. Does a great job of charging the batteries.

hope you're not subjecting your campground neighbors to that racket maker!:E

Or running 16:1 oil ratio LoL

Hey,,,,, I'm duin them a favor,
That lil 2 smoker keeps the skeeters down.

Run some golden spectro and I'll bring some beer and we can sit around and enjoy it. 2 stroke is one of mans greatest inventions.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Son of Norway wrote:

Hey,,,,, I'm duin them a favor,
That lil 2 smoker keeps the skeeters down.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Son of Norway wrote: