cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ARP Refrigerator Protection

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you installed an ARP Refrigerator Control? If so, are you satisfied with it? Is it effective?

Mike Scheer
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK
24 REPLIES 24

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This is the reason to install the ARP. It does NOT improve the actual cooling as long as all parameters are to spec. The main thing it does is STOP the cooling process when you park off level for those short periods of time that can start a cooling unit break down in a few years. Doug

Your RV Refrigerator boiler operates at about 350 degrees all the time, but even a brief time off-level, like driving up a hill , can send that temperature sky-rocketing. Events like this produced a lot of thermal stress in the fridge boiler, stress that causes the metal to fatigue and the anti-corrosion chemicals in the coolant to deteriorate leading to fridge failure and perhaps even causing an RV fire. This is the reason for Dometic and Norcold recalls leading to class action suits. The ARP Control can monitor the boiler temperature and automatically shut down the boiler if temperatures begin to climb out of normal range. Best of all, ARP continues to monitor and re-starts the fridge once it cools down again, so that your food doesn't spoil. And all without any effort by you!

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
To install an ARP unit along with the 2 fans, does one have to "pull" the fridge out or can it be done by removing the vents in the rear and/or roof? Does it have to be done by an RV service center?

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
I added the ARP controller along with a thermistor replacement ("Snip The Tip") and fans both interior and exterior.

I can't say which improvement specifically helped but overall I couldn't be happier with the result. In almost any weather the fridge is around 34 to 38 degrees and the freezer is anywhere between 6 and 11 degrees.

The thing I like the most is that it controls the fans so they're not running constantly, especially in cold weather. Also I had an unrelated fridge issue right after installing the ARP and my email inquiry to the owners was returned immediately.

I would like to have gotten the data logging version but we are an Apple-based house, so, no. That said, it would not surprise me if it did do a shutdown, as it is supposed to, during a long climb/decline in Colorado. I absentmindedly had left the fridge on in propane mode and it wasn't until I got to the campsite that I saw that the unit had been running all day. We were either way, way lucky or the ARP did it's job.

Further, our stock fridge routinely got too warm or too cold. Either way we were seeing ruined food. Since the upgrades, we've had no issues at all.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gjac,

These were the only times that the unit shut down the fridge. I was not "out of level" any more than usual. It was not cold enough for my Thermocube controlled light bulb to come on.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
We installed one in Sept after doing a fair amount of research. Very little negative and lots of positive feedback. So far it seems to do it''s job.

Price is reasonable, about the same as 1000 miles of travel with our e450 v10. Fridge replacement is probably $2000-3000.
2004 Born Free class c

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
Have it on ours. It was highly recommended by Pines Refrigeration (Makers of the Amish Cooling units).
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I have it installed in my Fridge. It has been great for my peace of mind.

It has gone into protection mode 3 times since installation. All the times were in cold weather.
Why in cold weather Don? Were you more out of level than normal?

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Yes
and another Yes!

We installed the data logging version about two years ago (nerdy tech type folks that we are) was / is nice addition to the rig

Highly recommended

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have it installed in my Fridge. It has been great for my peace of mind.

It has gone into protection mode 3 times since installation. All the times were in cold weather.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RECVEH2005 wrote:
Have any of you installed an ARP Refrigerator Control? If so, are you satisfied with it? Is it effective?

Search the forums for "ARP" and you'll find several who have installed one.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380