cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood hot water tank wouldn't stay lit...

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
As the title states, my Atwood wouldn't stay lit when we arrived at the site earlier today, I searched this forum and found that many resolve the issue by cleaning the orifice...so I slid the air mixture adjustment tube forward and gently ran some Emory cloth over it...viola ! The flame roared and I thought I was good to go...or so it seemed...I've had to go out and clean the orifice several times since then...

Is there junk in the lines or does the orifice need to be unscrewed and cleaned with something like a torch tip cleaner ?
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission
7 REPLIES 7

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
S far so good, decided to spend the day here and I've left the tank on all day, cycles as expected.
2017 Cougar

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that little tab and left it alone... I slid the air mixture gizmo out of the way and cleaned the nozzle with some acetone and a que tip...things seem to be working as they should now.

cheers !
2017 Cougar

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
On my atwood WH it has a small flat piece of metal that sticks out in front of the burner tube where the flame shoots from. I was trying to be pro active one day and do some preventative maintenance and broke that tab of the burner assembly. Murphy's Law say that the water heater will not work properly with that tab broken off, so I had to buy another assembly.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Flame sensor or thermal couple not directly in flame
Corroded ground wire on LP gas valve
Dirty connection on circuit board
Bad ECO
Bad thermostat
Dirt orifice needs to be removed from gas valve, soaked in alcohol, blow it out and then reinstalled. Do not use any type of device to clean.
Depends on model of course!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
All other propane devices work as they should...we are back on the road this morning at our next stop I will post the model etc.

Cheers !
2017 Cougar

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know the Orifice in Fridges CANNOT be cleaned with any kind of "object" but I don't know about the larger Orifices in Water Heaters. Go to Chris Bryant's site www.bryantrv.com and look for the Service Manual for your Model. Please include Model when you post about an item like a Genset or Appliance. Like you would for a motor vehicle. Everybody needs Make, Year, Model, Engine Size...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

stillthinking99
Explorer
Explorer
Do your other propane devices work properly? If not it may be a regulator problem.