cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater different leak

hgpezi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I am fairly new here and I have a problem with my Atwood water heater. I checked already older posts but I could not find an answer.

Problem is that the water heater is leaking right underneath the drain plug. The drainplug is not the issue becuase it stays dry all the time. Around that drain plug is a white foam ring and the water is coming out there. I really don't know is it something bigger or is it only a gasket. Any suggestions?

I attached 2 pictures and I hope it helps to understand.

11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking at it I think the drain plug IS the issue.. Leaks sometimes are strange but that plug is not all the way into the hole.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hgpezi
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everybody. I am going to get it out and trying to get a better idea what is going on.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If leak is due to bad weld job vs damage from being frozen.........Atwood warranty would cover costs of repair. IIRC 2 yr. warranty
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it still covered under a warranty? If not I would remove that foam piece and wrap that plug with Teflon tape and re tighten it. You should be able to see where the leak is coming from. You may have a cracked tank as others have said but on a year old unit I would want to be sure it wasn't leaking from the plug, or from the Pressure Relief Valve and running down a wire and pooling in back of the foam.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tempature and pressure valve also known as a safty release valve ,water gets to hot and it will spurt out that hole, at the top of the tank it has a little handle on it, and asking questions is how we learned ,so keep looking for that leak your rv is to new to be rusted threw. might pull that white tag off you could see better.

hgpezi
Explorer
Explorer
First off all thank you all for your help.

@ old-Biscuit I did not winterrize it but my dealer did while it was in for a service last fall.

@ midnightsadie our TT is only just over a year old

What surprises me is there is absolutely no water inside the trailer I checked it from inside there is a access panel.

I told you I am very new to Rving so I have to asked "What is the T&P valve?"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
hgpezi wrote:
Any suggestions?

Yep. You have a hairline crack in the weld where the drain plug sits ... it's a simple repair but you'll have to remove the water heater from the trailer and strip it down to just the tank so you can get to that weld. We camped with friends last month who had this exact problem with their own Atwood water heater, in their case in the weld where the pressure relief valve screws into the tank. After eliminating the obvious leaky connections it was clear the tank itself was leaking from a crack that we couldn't see with the WH still mounted in the trailer. Removing it is simple, 'though I'd suggest you take pics as you go along so if there's any question later when you reinstall you'll have pics to refer to. Once the WH has been removed from the trailer you'll have to strip it of ALL parts until you're left with just the tank and the black sheet metal base pan attached to it. To separate the two you have to destroy the metal rings and gaskets that secure the base pan to the tank but Atwood sells a replacement ring and gasket set that any dealer can get you. Once the tank is free of the base pan you'll most likely find a hairline crack in that weld quite easily ... once you know where that crack is just have it aluminum welded ... cost my friend $20. Once welded and you're sure the tank is otherwise fine it's time for reassembly but you WILL need a new ring and gasket set. A tip - use something that's 2.75" in diameter as a drift, that will ensure that the metal rings will go on straight ... get 'em crooked and you'll be buying yet another ring and gasket set. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look some place else up around the safty valve OR,you got a pin hole in your tank.my guess.. if so your gonna be buying a new tank, how old is this rv? if you need a new tank look on line for a cheaper price than a dealer.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF the T&P Relief Valve above is not weeping/dripping down then you have a crack in WH tank..most likely at the drain plug bung weld.
It can be repaired (re-welded) but will require complete disassemble of water heater components/pan/frame from WH tank to access area .

Don't know where you live........did you not drain/winterize WH tank and it froze?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
That ring just covers up insulation material which surrounds the water heater.
Kevin

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It's gonna be something bigger- there are no other opening back there, until you get to the back of the heater, unless it is leaking at the T&P valve
-- Chris Bryant