cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater "draining" house battery

gwtriker
Explorer
Explorer
With everything 12V turned OFF, something in my RV was draining the house battery ... after much testing, determined it was the Atwood water heater(GC6AA-10E). With heaters' 15A fuse pulled - no drain: fuse in - drain. At the heater proper, pulled 12V connector to heater - no drain. With connector still disconnected, tested voltage on the connector - with switches in off position no voltage / voltage when in on position.

Any ideas as to what is causing the drain when the 12V connector is plugged into the heater????
3 REPLIES 3

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
A relay draw. That makes a lot of sense!

Jim

wasatchmtnatvr
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the dual switch for water heater with red light lense in the middle also make sure you shut of the 120vac system switch. It uses a 12 vdc circuit with a relay to activate the 120 vac wtr. htr. system. it is the one with a lightning bolt picture next to it. this relay will draw dc amps.
Coleman folding trailer
GMC conversion van
Haulmark Harley Hauler enclosed trlr.(No Harley)
Honda Rubicon atv

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
gwtriker wrote:
With everything 12V turned OFF, something in my RV was draining the house battery ... after much testing, determined it was the Atwood water heater(GC6AA-10E). With heaters' 15A fuse pulled - no drain: fuse in - drain. At the heater proper, pulled 12V connector to heater - no drain. With connector still disconnected, tested voltage on the connector - with switches in off position no voltage / voltage when in on position.

Any ideas as to what is causing the drain when the 12V connector is plugged into the heater????

Do you by chance have a 12v heating element? Is it on? Is your hot water hot when you have a full battery? 15a is way more than a controller board parasitic load. Either I am totally missing something or you have a 12v heating element active, though 15 a seems small for an element.

Jim