cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary tank pump

shock_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a 2009 Chevy in which they use to pull a camper from pa to Idaho. He has to stop frequently to gas up. He has a tank that holds gas in the bed of the truck and he wishes to pump that gasoline into the pickup truck original gas tank. Anyone know how to properly accomplish this?
5 REPLIES 5

shock_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Dave hm,

Do you have a diagram of what you did? Any idea what the napa pump costs. What size line is the pump? Was this time consuming? We leave soon and was curious what kind of endeavor this is. Thanks for your time!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Locally NAPA stocks 12 volt fuel/gas umps that are designed to do 5 or 6 lbs of pressure. Mount it on the pick up tube that pulls the gas out of the top of the tank - in line of course. I also had to install a 12 volt (normally closed) valve in the fuel line to stop siphoning.

Take the fuel neck out of the truck and weld a tube in the side of it to slip the fuel feed line on.

I also installed a switch inside the cab to energize the pump and valve and a fuel gauge for the aux.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My 80 gal tank is bolted to the bed. I gravity feed into the filler neck hose. I have plumbing from the bottom of the aux tank to a manual shut off valve then through the bed to a 12v solenoid valve and into the filler neck. I also have a vent line from the top of the aux to the filler neck vent line.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do it with a regular 12 volt pump and hose w/nozzle, but that is on a diesel truck with diesel fuel. Don't know about gasoline.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I have often wondered if those would be practical from a safety point of view. I would think that the Tank needs to be securely fastened somehow.
Many Farmers have "Slip Tanks" in the bed of their pickups ,some with Electric Transfer Pumps, but as far as I know they pump into the stock tank through the normal fuel filler!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD