cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery and Quick Disconnect Question

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
Disclaimer: I'm new to camping...bought my first travel trailer 2 months ago.

Question: If I remove the battery quick connect/disconnect, does this remove all draw from the battery? I am under the impression that it does.

I pull the disconnect when I store my camper with the intent that it will be (rather) fully charged for me to pre-cool my propane refrigerator for the day or two prior to my next departure.

A few weeks ago...Not knowing how long it takes for my refrigerator to cool down, I engaged the battery connect/disconnect and lit my refrigerator 3 days in advanced. I checked on it each day and it was cooling quite nicely. The morning of departure, I opened my refrigerator door to find a warm unit. I only assume the battery was drained by then and thus the refrigerator could not operate. Does this sound correct? If so, any advice? Turn on refrigerator the night before rather than a couple days? Could it have been something else (a storm the night before...could this have blown out the flame and for some reason it did not electronically re-ignite?)?
12 REPLIES 12

red31
Explorer
Explorer
cjb2017 wrote:
I pull the battery disconnect key. It looks like a key that inserts into a plug in the cargo area.

I would hope it disconnects every thing xept the brake away for the brakes.

You do have battery self discharge with the battery disconnected.

The fridge and Propane/CO detectors are constant drains on the battery when you are precooling the fridge.

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
I pull the battery disconnect key. It looks like a key that inserts into a plug in the cargo area.

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime I suspect a parasitic draw on a battery (car, boat, RV..etc), I use a D.C. ammeter to see if there is any current flowing when everything is presumably "off". A decent meter wil measure down to the milliamperes.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our toyhauler has a "Disconnect" switch, but it doesn't disconnect everything: the 12 volt radio, the CO detector, and probably a couple other things are still on when the "Disconnect" is pulled. I installed an actual battery disconnect switch on the positive terminal of the battery. So I know when I want it dead, it is dead.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œToday's mentality โ€

My propane isnโ€™t โ€œonโ€ when my disconnect switch is thrown, Mex. And the fridge of course wonโ€™t run without some juice. Is this what you are concerned about? And no one needs to โ€œrush inโ€ to turn off my propane.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

red31
Explorer
Explorer
cjb2017 wrote:

I pull the disconnect when I store my camper with the intent that it will be (rather) fully charged for me to pre-cool my propane refrigerator for the day or two prior to my next departure.

what are you pulling?

Batteries do discharge all by themselves just sitting but small continual drains can do that also.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Check the wiring. If the propane detector bypasses the switch, it might draw some but more importantly, did someone connect something else on that circuit.

In principal it should kill everything but if you want to be really sure, remove the connections at the battery posts.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without a voltmeter you don't know what happened with the battery. I guess 'remove' the disconnect means turn on that switch.??

You could also have run out of propane. Highly unlikely a storm blew it out.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Problems always pop up with an ALMOST disconnect switch. Either a battery is isolated or it isn't.

Yeah right

"No one will be around so we leave the propane alarm connected so that if there is no one around they can rush in and turn off the propane that we insist be left on when no one is around"

Today's mentality

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, you only need to turn on your refrig 12 hours or so before your departure (as long as you keep the door closed). Your battery may be drained by the LP detector, you would have to look at what is wired in before the disconnect to know. My disconnect switch disconnects everything, no exceptions.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œQuestion: If I remove the battery quick connect/disconnect, does this remove all draw from the battery? I am under the impression that it does.โ€œ

When turned off mine does except for the tongue jack...self installed. If yourโ€™s is factory installed youโ€™ll need to trace wiring and test. What brand and model is your TT? Someone might know. A solar panel would have kept your batteries up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cjb2017
Explorer
Explorer
Also, my service guy tells me that even when the battery is disconnected, my battery is still being drained by my LP detector. Does this sound right? If so, maybe I need a battery charger to re-charge my battery after it sits for a bit?