cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Box options

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
I'm switching from a single 12V battery to 2-6V GC batteries. Looking at battery boxes, I find that a single 6V box can be bought for $10-20 while a dual goes for $75+. Any problem using 2 singles? My batteries are protected in an enclosed area at the front. Other options?
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia
10 REPLIES 10

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than when checking fluids, going with separate battery boxes for our pair of 6 volt GC2 batteries has served us well, they sit on a exposed rack on our a-frame. Didn't want to pay the inordinate upcharge for a dual battery box as two singles could be had for a third of the price and were readily available locally. Great move to go with a pair of golfcart batteries, we love ours and find a pair of 6's suits our needs just right, even when RVing off the power grid.

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
brulaz wrote:
I had two batteries in two boxes for several years.
Never a problem.

However any enclosed space should have *some* ventilation to get rid of hydrogen gas.

"Enclosed" may be a misnomer. Looking at pics of the OP's trailer suggests his battery storage area which is hidden behind a removable panel on the trailer's front cap is probably much the same as the removable panel on my previous KZ Spree, behind which sat a pair of 30 lb propane tanks. Yes, that compartment was "enclosed" but it certainly wasn't sealed but rather was a molded space, part of the trailer's front cap - so whether used for storing tanks or batteries that area was not part of the trailer's front pass through cargo compartment but was in fact a separate compartment with plenty of ventilation. Unfortunately the OP hasn't provided any pics of this "enclosed" battery space but I'd suspect he doesn't need battery boxes at all.

You are correct enclosed is somewhat of a misnomer. It is a weather protected area, but is not part of the under bed through storage. I probably don't need a battery box, but they are a little easier to anchor than the batteries alone. I can bolt the boxes to the deck or throw straps over the covers.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Never a problem.

However any enclosed space should have *some* ventilation to get rid of hydrogen gas.

"Enclosed" may be a misnomer. Looking at pics of the OP's trailer suggests his battery storage area which is hidden behind a removable panel on the trailer's front cap is probably much the same as the removable panel on my previous KZ Spree, behind which sat a pair of 30 lb propane tanks. Yes, that compartment was "enclosed" but it certainly wasn't sealed but rather was a molded space, part of the trailer's front cap - so whether used for storing tanks or batteries that area was not part of the trailer's front pass through cargo compartment but was in fact a separate compartment with plenty of ventilation. Unfortunately the OP hasn't provided any pics of this "enclosed" battery space but I'd suspect he doesn't need battery boxes at all.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Never a problem.

Leakage? Maybe, but my biggest issue is spillage when taking samples for Sp.Gr. readings.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
If your batteries are already in an enclosed area what's the advantage of putting them in battery boxes as well? :h

mike-s wrote:
Keeping any acid from damaging things. :S

In all the years we've owned a variety of trailers I've never once had any leaking battery acid. Regardless, if this is an issue for the OP then the better solution would seem to be a pair of AGMs.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
If your batteries are already in an enclosed area what's the advantage of putting them in battery boxes as well? :h
Keeping any acid from damaging things. :S

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
This one.
https://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,576.html

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I have two boxes with no issues but one box would be easier for water checks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Protection against punching a hole in one of them with shifting cargo?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GT928 wrote:
My batteries are protected in an enclosed area at the front. Other options?