cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Leaf Spring

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
How difficult is it to replace a broken leaf spring on a dual axle fifth wheel? Local RV shops are booked through June! I've seen it done in a campground before but on a travel trailer.. Jack up frame, block it up/ remove spring shackle ???
10 REPLIES 10

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are handy you can do it. I have replaced them on the road, cg, and at home in the driveway. Don't let the RV stealership hold you hostage. Just make sure the eye holes on the new spring are the same distance apart and the number of leafs are the same as the old.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
No real difference from a travel trailer.

We had one go a couple years back and a mobile tech replaced it on the side of the road (amazingly he had the right size on his truck because he was going to replace the ones on his boat trailer that day).

After that we had the rest replaced (figured if one broke, good chance the others aren't far behind) and they did it at a camp site.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
How difficult is it to replace a broken leaf spring on a dual axle fifth wheel? Local RV shops are booked through June! I've seen it done in a campground before but on a travel trailer.. Jack up frame, block it up/ remove spring shackle ???

You do NOT 'have' to take it to an RV dealer!!

Just take it to any local auto or truck repair shop that will work on leaf springs.

All RV's can be serviced at regular auto repair shops. Save your money and quit thinking only an 'RV' shop can repair an RV. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
It is a physical effort more than technical. I bought four 12-ton jack stands at HF to rest the frame. Then a floor jack to support the axle as you unbolt the springs.

I also installed the Dexter wet bolt kit while it was off. I definitely recommend replacing all springs. Go up a bit in weight rating too.

http://www.stengelbros.com/trailer-suspension-parts/trailer-leaf-springs/

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for doing all the bolts.

A 4 1/2 inch Harbor Freight grinder with a steel cutting wheel is handy to have for this job. Remember to hold the new bolt heads steady when tightening the nut. The bolt has teeth that bite when seated. You do not want the bolt to turn as you tighten the nut or you will strip the teeth. AT least that is how my instructions said to do it.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Been there, done that. It's not difficult. Get lubable bolts and bronze bushings while yer at it. Be ready to replace shackles too. Dexter has a kit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have done it.. Once on a Trailer and several times on cars and vans.

The hard part is the nuts and bolts may be rusted. We had to cut one of the bolts on the trailer.. Jacks (multiple) and air powered impact wrenches really helped.

We got the spring pack, broken one and all, out.. Took it to a spring shop.. Went to lunch, Picked it up, and put it back all in one day 2 people working together There is some fun getting the bolts to line up but nothing too hard.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
It's not too bad of a job. I replaced all 4 springs, all bolts, and all bushings in less than a day. I increased the individual spring capacity from 1900# to 2500#.

As Mex said, you may need to use some Liquid Wrench. Or just cut them off and replace.

I used a hydraulic roll around floor jack, make the job much easier.
Joe and Evelyn

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jack stands for the rig. Jack and stands for the axle. Tight shackle bolts. Placing the spring and jamming the bolts through the shackles is not really a one man job. Unless a person walks on their knuckles.

Save time. Soak the spring U bolts for three days with Liquid Wrench. WD40 is useless.

The axle MUST be raised or lowered to clear the spring slowly and carefully. This is for the benefit of the spring on the other end. Careful with the trailer brake wiring.

I had a set of jackstands that were modified. I had a piece of 2" angle iron welded on each stand's pad. Super sturdy axle support.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might take it to a truck repair place or get a mobile tech.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter