cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery boxes on tongue?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Our new to us 2005 Keystone Cougar 304BHS has a curved front and I am trying to add 4 GC2 6v batteries, but am having great difficulty finding options for battery boxes.

We have a Reese WDH, so the chain adjustments extend just above the frame on both sides.

I really need some ideas here. I can add or build a "box" of sorts, but the weight of the batteries could be an issue. 1" x 1" x 1/4" (1/8" strong enough?) Weld? Bolt? Above frame, below frame?

I considered welding angle iron to the bottom of the frame for 3 across, plus one in the front, then building a box "around" to close in the bottom of the frame, sides, then some kind of top to make battery + inverter + charger/converter + tool storage.

We leave next Thursday for our first trip in this camper, so LOTS of things to do, including change the awning. Time wise, I'd rather buy a box or something, but will make what I have to.

Ideas, suggestions, examples?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Welded 2 3/4"X3/4" angle iron bars to the underside of the tongue rails. Bolted 3X4" plywood to the angle iron. Bought a plastic battery box from centuryplastics.ca(GC2-4) and screwed it down to the plywood. Later I got the welder to reenforce the bottom with 2 more pieces of angle iron. Batteries are snug in the plastic battery box.

Just finished a 7 week camping trip, some of the time on rough roads. No problems.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info...

I measured, it would be a 5 inch spacer. Wonder if I can find some 5" box, or C-channel and get it put together in time....

Or find an innerside truck box with the step in it already.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a International TB-20D 31-Inch Utility Box from Amazon and fitter it
between the tanks and the curved front of my camper. I measured carefully and now I have a place for 2 batteries and all the bits and pieces. I used hefty self-drilling screws to secure the box to the chassis.

You can use a spacer if you need to clear the WDH.
Gerry

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Purchase of the batteries is imminent. $86/ea. What would be gained with AGM's and how much are they?

What would be gained? ... AGMs are maintenance free, other than properly recharging them, and as long as they're not enclosed in a totally sealed box AGMs can be mounted in any location, oriented in any direction. The downside is they're more costly ... but if it were me I'd rather spend those extra $$$ on AGMs than a costly metal storage box like a Torklift.

My next battery will almost for sure be another flooded, best bang for the buck, BUT my situation is different than yours and a single flooded will serve my needs just fine. In your case you want multiple batteries and have a mounting issue that AGMs can solve for you ... seems evident to me which is the better choice.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I'm guessing you've already purchased these batteries :@ , otherwise I'd have suggested you not put big $$$ into an expensive box like a Torklift in order to accommodate a gaggle of flooded batts but instead put those $$$ into AGM batts that could be mounted anywhere, in any configuration - Perhaps a couple on the tongue in conventional battery boxes and a couple more in the front pass through storage compartment. Easy to do with AGMs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Purchase of the batteries is imminent. $86/ea. What would be gained with AGM's and how much are they?

I also now have the PD converter/charger to install.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Our new to us 2005 Keystone Cougar 304BHS has a curved front and I am trying to add 4 GC2 6v batteries, but am having great difficulty finding options for battery boxes.

I'm guessing you've already purchased these batteries :@ , otherwise I'd have suggested you not put big $$$ into an expensive box like a Torklift in order to accommodate a gaggle of flooded batts but instead put those $$$ into AGM batts that could be mounted anywhere, in any configuration - Perhaps a couple on the tongue in conventional battery boxes and a couple more in the front pass through storage compartment. Easy to do with AGMs. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
You might want to consider the TORKLIFT boxes that slide off verses the ones that open up with a lid...

TLA7710RS 58-1/2"L 7-5/8"W 12-3/4"H

etrailer image

Looks like you should have room between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer. This METAL BOX will extend out on both sides of the trailer tongues...

Roy Ken

Holy smoking turtles! Over $600 for that box.

A sliding top sure would help with clearing the curved front of the camper, though.

Thanks.

I saw a stepped truck box to clear the WDH here:

Battery box

And here:

Battery boxes

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I should show a pic of my tongue area ๐Ÿ˜‰

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to consider the TORKLIFT boxes that slide off verses the ones that open up with a lid...

TLA7710RS 58-1/2"L 7-5/8"W 12-3/4"H

etrailer image

Looks like you should have room between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer. This METAL BOX will extend out on both sides of the trailer tongues...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS