cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Converter

Bagger1955
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2004 Pace Arrow and it has a 5500 Onan generator. The engine alternator will charge the house batteries as will shore power but the generator will no longer charge these batteries. Any helpful suggestions would be very appreciative.
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just so you know.. The generator powers the converter, Same as shore power.

If the converter is flaking out.. Sounds like something socketed (Like the fuses are) needed re-socketing (like you did with the fuses) this is not unheard of in Electroincs. Epically computers. and a good 3 stage converter.. *IS* a computer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

Bagger1955
Explorer
Explorer
Update - pulled the old converter and bench tested overnight. Experienced some intermittent failures so instead of trying to repair the unit I replaced it instead and everything is working fine now. Thanks again for all the feedback.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bagger1955 wrote:
Understood - and thanks. I pulled the two reverse battery fuses to check and they're both good. Put everything back together and now I'm seeing 13.5 volts on the aux meter. This is good news but still concerning because I don't know the fault cause. I will monitor can keep my fingers crossed.
If all other things in the circuit remained the same when you checked the fuses, Occam's Repair Wizard tells me that the fuses, in particular the contacting surfaces may be to blame.

Mena might also have nailed it, a corroded, dirty, or loose connection may be the culprit.

I would suggest, too, that you purchase a handheld meter to verify electric issues. Some of the metering and monitoring devices in RV's are rather cheap and of lower quality.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the connectors on the converter. There might be some corrosion on them. Check the battery connectors too.

Bagger1955
Explorer
Explorer
Understood - and thanks. I pulled the two reverse battery fuses to check and they're both good. Put everything back together and now I'm seeing 13.5 volts on the aux meter. This is good news but still concerning because I don't know the fault cause. I will monitor can keep my fingers crossed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do you think converter is not charging batteries while on generator power?

Is this something that has just happened?
Are batteries currently being charged?

Reason I ask is......
If everything is working via shore or gen but last time you used gen batteries didn't charge, have you tried shore power since and do batteries charge now?

Unless battery disconnect switch was turned off, circuit breaker for converter input is tripped or reverse polarity fuses on converter are blown, either AC power source can charge batteries. Either both work or neither work.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bagger1955
Explorer
Explorer
Oaky - thanks for your information.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
No. As already suggested, your observations are very difficult to reconcile. Here is why:

From your ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) onward to main 120 VAC breaker box and all circuits supplied by it (including the converter) there is just ONE supply (one hot, one neutral and one ground with 30 amp, two hots, one neutral and one ground with 50 amp).

So, if shore power powers the converter AND other 120 VAC circuits work with generator (roof A/C, microwave, 120 VAC outlets, etc) the converter should work as well since the exact same wires run from ATS all the way to converter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bagger1955
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious but is it possible that the problem could be with the converter itself? Is there a separate charging circuit and if so, would it be fused?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
There is no ac power getting to the converter from the generator. If it has power on shore power, and the genset powers everything else, you have a very strange,....almost impossible problem.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bagger1955
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, generator powers all devices.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If shore power is feeding converter (via main AC panel circuit breaker OR via a 120V AC outlet) then generator will also feed AC power to converter provided generator is supplying AC power.........
*either circuit breaker(s) on front panel of generator have tripped,
*generator power cord is not plugged into rig power outlet (if it has to be physically plugged in)
*OR the transfer switch is 'stuck' on shore power position (not switching input feed to generator side).

As 'pianotuna' questioned........do any other AC appliances work (microwave, outlets etc.)?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Does the genny run other items in the RV? Such as a microwave? Or are they dead, too?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.