cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery? Solenoid?

TLV
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking. Twelve month old batteries are losing charge overnight. The only thing running is the refrigerator (2 way) using propane. Not enough power to turn on generator in the AM. Solenoid is hot to the touch.

Thoughts?
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much battery. DEEP CYCLE or MARINE/deep cycle How much charge do you put on 'em in the day. Generator or solar panels. State of charge when you shut off generator and/or sun goes down..

Without those answers we can not comment

A pair of Group 24's charged by Generator for 3 hours a day. WILL RUN DEAD.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
TLV wrote:
2014 Sundowner Horse Trailer with 16' RV living quarters.

fairway2002 wrote:
If you have a emergency start for your engine./Hold that and start generator. It will put chassis battery with house battery's

gatorcq wrote:
So, everyone is guessing, until you determine what type of equipment you have installed in your coach.

Nothing like making comments and offering advice based on NOT even reading OPโ€™s posts.........

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Its perdy simple if you ask me,.....no solenoid should be energized while camping on the house batteries.
So like was already said, the "hot" solenoid is whats killing the batteries.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Let's start with reality. If you have a camper, some 5th wheels, MH, then you may have a converter and not a true charger.
A converter just converts 115 Vac to 13.5 Vdc. That is all.
A true Battery charger, converts 115 Vac into a 3 stage charger: Bulk, absorptions and float. Without this the your batteries are not being fully charged. If on the other hand you, remove the battery and using a 3 stage charger on the bench, it will last a little longer but not much.

Next depending on how much capacity you have in batteries and you type of 3 stage charger, will determine how long the 115Vac needs to be on.

So, everyone is guessing, until you determine what type of equipment you have installed in your coach.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You need to run the generator a minimum three hours with battery voltage at 14.4 to 14.8 volts to get near full charge.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Once upon a time i was asked to help install a solenoid in an camperVan, the used dusty Solenoid was provided by the owner. Appeared to be 90 amp rated continuous or so.

I hooked it up and some 18 amps were flowing to the house batteries, but the body of solenoid got extremely hot where the studs were not all that hot..

Disconnected it and recommended a new solenoid.

Later realized it was likely a latching solenoid requiring only a momentary burst of 12v to latch and unlatch.

I should have tested it for that, but at the time I was unaware of latching solenoids.

So every time i hear 'hot solenoid', I think of a latching one being fed continuous 12v instead of a momentary 12v burst to latch and unlatch.

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a emergency start for your engine./Hold that and start generator. It will put chassis battery with house battery's

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
NO solenoid should stay energized, period and THAT is what is killing your batteries!

TLV
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Sundowner Horse Trailer with 16' RV living quarters. Batteries are Interstate Deep Cycle. Plugged into shore power and battery light showed full charge in 60 minutes.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m with Optimistic, twelve month old deep cycle batteries wouldnโ€™t be drawn down overnight with that power consumption. Consider a solar system. With deep cycle batteries and sufficient panels, electrical power when boondocking becomes a non-issue on most days. Like Napalm, I love the smell and noise of a generator in the morning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

The solenoid may draw up to about 0.88 of an amp. That should NOT be enough to totally discharge a fully charged battery bank. I suspect the batteries are not getting a full charge.

Does the trailer by any chance have electric brakes?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what kind of rig, battery etc. In most rigs if you start the engine it will place all batteries on-line - that should help you start your generator.
Kevin

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
TLV wrote:
Boondocking. Twelve month old batteries are losing charge overnight.

What kind of batteries? Can you verify that the batteries are, in fact, real deep cycle batteries? Or at least, so-called RV/Marine batteries?

Cause frankly, if someone just threw a pair of engine starting batteries in, they're probably nearly dead. I'd be surprised that they lasted 12 months treated like deep cycle batteries. They just aren't built to take that.

TLV
Explorer
Explorer
Not an engine battery. Hooks to the 2 batteries on the RV.