cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery woes....

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
So my battery is dead again. Unplugged to the shore power to see if the battery was ok after the winter and within and hour and a half it was down to 1/3. I've always been getting the EverStart RV/marine batteries from walmart. I haven't checked the water level in them yet either. (I don't think that would matter at this point) Its the 29 size.

What type/brand would you recommend I try this time?
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
28 REPLIES 28

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
kamperdog wrote:
So my battery is dead again. Unplugged to the shore power to see if the battery was ok after the winter and within and hour and a half it was down to 1/3. I've always been getting the EverStart RV/marine batteries from walmart. I haven't checked the water level in them yet either. (I don't think that would matter at this point) Its the 29 size.

What type/brand would you recommend I try this time?

First does the name "EverStart" suggest anything, like that is a STARTING battery, not a DEEP CYCLE battery? I used to buy a new MARINE/Deep cycle every season. You need a DEEP CYCLE battery.

if it will fit try a GC-12

Also, Come fall, when you park, Fully charge the battery, Identify with red/black tape or paint the positive and negative leads (red for Positive) and remove the battery to a bench (Set it on a piece of scrap wood or several thicknesses of corogated paper (2 or 3) so if there is any liquid leakage it destroys the scrap, not the bench) hook up a Battery minder (TM) or Battery Tender (TM) and keep it charged, This is all important.

Finally, What converter do you have? (Some of them kill batteries fast)

Finally. GC-12. the GC stands for "Golf Car" it is a 12 volt deep cycle Golf Car battery.

Footnote:
Was watching a presentation on Lithium IronPhopsate batteries today, Look interesting but at $10.00 per amp hour, Still not ready for prime time RV use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Kinda sorta obvious dontcha think?

Absorbed glass mat...

Yes. If you can't have a "proper" maintenance charger in storage - a good converter, or a standalone maintainer - then get AGM and walk away. Disconnected from everything - no loads, no charging.

A decent single 12V 110 AH AGM like Deka will cost from $230. Or you can get cheaper Chin-Mart AGM from $170 - and will be sorry that you did.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sits a lot disconnected...only a ahem, er, "brave" (that's politically correct) owner goes off and leaves a battery unattended to the mercy of a high power charger. Read the word "unattended" again.

Doesn't check water level

Disconnect AGM battery and walk away. Can't get more simple or reliable than that.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your battery stays connected to the Converter/charger unit then most likely it is being boiled out of water over time. The Older Converter/charger that only puts out a single DC VOLTAGE like 13.6VDC will boil out the battery fluids over time... It has to drop down to 13.2VDC to stop boiling out fluids. This is how the smart mode converter/charger units solves this problem.

Best thing to do is install a quick disconnect for the battery or remove the negative terminal and then check your your every few weeks to watch the DC VOLTs level... If it tapers down to around 12.0VDC (Approximately 50% charge state) them you will need to charge it back up again... Hook it back up to your converter/charger again for a few days and check again...

Your 2009 model camper probably does not have a smart mode charger installed unless you did that on your own. The 2012 Trailers started coming out with smart mode converter/chargers install by the manf... Changing your old converter/charger unit out for a modern smart mode converter/charger will solve this problem for you.. I have the smart mode item but still check my battery fluid level out of habit. I can't afford to buy a new battery every year...

Or just keep doing what you are doing and buy a new battery every year from WALMART...

My batteries using the smart mode converter/charger have been running now since 2009 and still going... Just now starting to fall off on performance

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lessee

Sits a lot disconnected and fill caps have spider webs...

Kinda sorta obvious dontcha think?

Absorbed glass mat...

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
kamperdog wrote:
So my battery is dead again. Unplugged to the shore power to see if the battery was ok after the winter and within and hour and a half it was down to 1/3.

The battery was on converter and shore power through the winter and went dead? Then you didn't keep it charged in winter. Probably didn't fully charge in summer when in use, either.

For winter: replace converter or get a proper standalone battery maintainer. Disconnect ALL the loads - pull the fuses if you have to. Keep it from freezing.

For summer: charge it properly every time and keep watered. If you are on grid all the time, then again replace the converter.

-Oz-
Explorer
Explorer
swamprat 01 wrote:
If it was discharged and sit when it was freezing, the battery has probably frozen and will be for-all general-purposes dead...I remove the battery in the winter (even here if Fl.) and put it in the shop so I can remember to check it often and charge if necessary.I have had no problems with batteries from Wally World.

I do the same thing for winter. I have previously frozen a car battery and it worked fine for the rest of winter; however, as soon as it warmed up it was dead.

I use the Sam's Club energizer 6V batteries and am going on my 3rd year now. I do maintain water levels, ensure the discharge doesn't go down too far, and I bring them inside for winter and keep them charged.
Dan
RV: 2013 Shadow Cruiser S185 FBR
My ~200W Portable and Fixed Solar System

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I see a pattern. Continually replacing batteries is indicative of another problem. My guesses would be the converter is supplying too much voltage during float, boiling the battery or the battery is left connected during storage allowing it to be discharged by the RV's parasitic draws. In the latter case, if left to happen continually, the battery will fail within a short time.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
If it was discharged and sit when it was freezing, the battery has probably frozen and will be for-all general-purposes dead...I remove the battery in the winter (even here if Fl.) and put it in the shop so I can remember to check it often and charge if necessary.I have had no problems with batteries from Wally World.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing wrong with just using an RV/marine battery from Walmart (or wherever) if you always have shore power when RVing. Golf cart aka deep cycle batteries can take a better beating but are primarily utilized by RVers who camp often without shore power, and will suffer early death just as quickly if they are not properly cared for.

The root of the problem is probably more than just the brand or type of battery being used. Using a voltmeter to monitor the dc voltages within your rig can easily identify where the problem lies. Your converter should output a range of 13.2 - 13.6 volts, higher if it has multiphase charging capabilities. Wiring to the battery should be clean, tight, and hopefully of adequate size.

Not much different than the charging cycle within your automobiles, even a neglected but adequately charge car battery will last a couple of years. A new battery of whatever brand or type will get your rig going, checking that the proper converter output voltage is reaching the new battery will ensure your investment has the best chance of providing reliable service for years to come.

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend an actual disconnect... I assume you don't have one already.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dead again? How long did it last? How often does it sit less than 50% charged? Ever low on water?

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
the energizer from sams club are built by johson controls seem to be good batts

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of Interstate batteries.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer