cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batwing Water Leak

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The batwing has developed a small leak. The maintenance information suggests periodic lubrication to keep seals working and I failed to do this.

Has anyone done after the fact lubrication and stopped a leak or will I likely have to replace the seals? Input appreciated.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
24 REPLIES 24

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Mine leaked on my bed twice. After the first leak lubed it, after the second leak I removed it with a different antenna and threw the batwing in the trash. No problems since.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most likely place for it to come from is indeed the shaft itself, assuming it's at the shaft/handle. The leak can often be resolved by removing the shaft form the topside underneath the black plastic nut (5/6 sided?). There are 3 (I think) o-rings on the shaft and they need lube. On a regular basis just a shot of silicone down the shaft will keep things OK. Now when you disassemble you might put a bit of dielectric grease or similar to get a more of a seal and you can use the silicone every 6 months or so after that. Worst case, just replace the o-rings and you should be good to go.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a similar leak on a previous FW. I let lube run down the shaft above, to reach the O-ring, moved the antenna all around, and never another leak over several years before trading.

Jerry

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you said "batwing" I thought you meant the antenna head.

Usual suspect for water inside is the "boot" on the roof part not doing its job where the coax goes down. You can fill the boot with goop so it stays stuck down in place instead of working its way up the coax.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had to replace a pinion gear once. And while there were no leaks the axle shafts were worn at the seals so they also got replaced since I was giving the car to a family member.

Bob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely it is coming from the boot on the coax cable

Check that the boot is DOWN/In Place

Winegard exploded view
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a small drip from the crank area which suggests it's the seal. Unlikely to be elsewhere but certainly possible.

My experience with seals in general is that once they leak the best solution is replacement but lubing is quick if it actually works. :@

Bob

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the ring - it's cheap and a DIY job. But understand that this may not fix your water leak .. the actual source of your water leak might not be where it's leaking into your RV.
Kevin

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one apart to see why the amplifier wasn't working (couldn't fix it), but don't remember any sealing needs. How can you tell it is leaking?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I had small leak. portion came from the small boot that seals the cable entrance. While there I lubricated the gear assembly for raising and lowing. It showed white chlky residue. Looked like aluminum oxidation.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker