cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blown GFC breakers

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
will a surging Champion 3500 generator blow you circuit breakers in your TT ???? Maybe I should have connected a surge protector to my genny. This happened to me years ago.
17 REPLIES 17

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
DrewE wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

2) A neutral/ground fault. If a GFCI detects ground and neutral legs are connected they trip. Code says ground and neutral can only be bonded at the panel. So for about the last 10 years or more GFCI will trip on this fault.

I believe that's been a part of the code (more specifically, the UL requirements for GFCIs) for something closer to 30 years. I've had a tough time sussing out exactly when the actual requirements came into effect, but it has been decades.

A neutral/ground fault causes a a current imbalance at the outlet due to some of the current that should go thru the neutral pin now goes thru the ground pin leading to that 5 ma or greater hot/neutral difference that causes a trip. Thatโ€™s where the name ground fault circuit interrupter, GFCI, comes from.

if there is a load and ground/neutral are bonded yes, that will trip the GFCI. However even with NO loads attached it will trip on a ground/neutral short. there is signal and sense circuit to detect ground neutral bond.

And the fault does NOT repeat NOT need to go to the receptical or system ground directly. In fact a GFCI is code approved as a way to install a 3 wire outlet in 2 wire circuits. The GFCI needs to have a label saying no ground supplied. As long as neutral and hot have an imbalance it will trip. In most cases that isn't through the circuit ground but through an earth ground you or the device is standing on with a leakage path. And a GFCI is NOT guaranteed to protect you. If you get across the hot and neutral and have NO path to ground (insulated boots on insulated surface, GFCI will not trip. But you may be in for a serious shock.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happened years ago...sold it to a Dealer...so it not an issue just a question

NO...surging Generator will not trip a GFCI Outlet
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
The current injection method for ground-neutral fault detection is 10+ year old technology. The National Semi/TI LM1851 worked this way. The older Fairchild/On Semi chips have some sort of circuitry that causes a sense amp to oscillate on a ground-neutral fault. TI doesn't disclose the G-N detection scheme in the data sheet for its newer GFCI chips. On Semi's NCS37010 operates with a single CT and contains a DSP. Like so many other things, GFCI operation has evolved to magic chips with very little external circuitry.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like he has an issue with the GFCI receptacle. He should replace it wi a new one.
Then report back.
Need to skip the design criteria of GFCI units, and get back to helping! Times have changed as products are upgraded with new technology.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
DrewE wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

2) A neutral/ground fault. If a GFCI detects ground and neutral legs are connected they trip. Code says ground and neutral can only be bonded at the panel. So for about the last 10 years or more GFCI will trip on this fault.

I believe that's been a part of the code (more specifically, the UL requirements for GFCIs) for something closer to 30 years. I've had a tough time sussing out exactly when the actual requirements came into effect, but it has been decades.

A neutral/ground fault causes a a current imbalance at the outlet due to some of the current that should go thru the neutral pin now goes thru the ground pin leading to that 5 ma or greater hot/neutral difference that causes a trip.

They will trip even with nothing plugged into the receptacle. The GFCI device itself attempts to inject current into the neutral wire and if it flows around the neutral/ground loop it trips the hot/neutral mismatch detector you are referring to. So it really is a separate feature.

You are correct. But it is the same ground fault detection. The current injected during the test is expected to be equal thru the hot and neutral pins. But a โ€œleakโ€ to ground diverts some of that current leading to an imbalance.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
DrewE wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

A neutral/ground fault causes a a current imbalance at the outlet due to some of the current that should go thru the neutral pin now goes thru the ground pin leading to that 5 ma or greater hot/neutral difference that causes a trip.

They will trip even with nothing plugged into the receptacle. The GFCI device itself attempts to inject current into the neutral wire and if it flows around the neutral/ground loop it trips the hot/neutral mismatch detector you are referring to. So it really is a separate feature.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

A neutral/ground fault causes a a current imbalance at the outlet due to some of the current that should go thru the neutral pin now goes thru the ground pin leading to that 5 ma or greater hot/neutral difference that causes a trip. Thatโ€™s where the name ground fault circuit interrupter, GFCI, comes from.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
In some cases they can also false trip due to radio frequency interference. I just replaced two GFCI breakers at my auntโ€™s house that kept tripping randomly every several days. After some looking online I found YouTube videos showing people keying up portable radios by their breakers that would trip them. In her case the newer version of her breakers had been redesigned to address this known problem. The originals were only about 7 years old, Eaton brand.

Some in some cases a โ€œbadโ€ GFCI could be one of these older ones that arenโ€™t happy in the wrong environment and a new one fixes it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: That is a GFCI receptacle not a breaker.
They go bad! Should replace with one from a hardware store not an RV store(price). Verify wiring as miss wiring causes many problems.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I think you mean GFCI outlets. I haven't heard of any TTs having GFCI breakers installed.

GFCI outlets trip on a very small imbalance (as little as 5 ma) in current between the hot pin and the neutral pin. They don't trip on overcurrent or voltage surge.

Two different faults will cause a GFCI outlet to trip. So make sure you end up chasing the affending fault.

1) current imbalance between the hot and neutral legs. The most common reason for a trip.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
The GFCI breaker with a reset button was in a small receptacle next to sink in 2003 TT bathroom and after I looked at the wiring and pushed them back into the tiny outlet this placed pressure on one or more of the wires and when I plugged into shore power they popped again. Everything worked fine if I left the wires dangling outside the outlet and close to sink. There may have been another GFCI outlet in the kitchen cabinet area but do not remember after 5 or 6 years. TT was sold at good price to Reno RV dealer for use at Burning Man festival and I let him deal with the issues.

Trailer was an R Vision Trail Cruiser bunkhouse model

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I think you mean GFCI outlets. I haven't heard of any TTs having GFCI breakers installed.

GFCI outlets trip on a very small imbalance (as little as 5 ma) in current between the hot pin and the neutral pin. They don't trip on overcurrent or voltage surge.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is it really a GFC breaker or is a standard breaker feeding GFCI receptacles? A GFC breaker will have a reset button.
Test genset for correct power configuration. Could use 30/15-20 adapter with one of the small plug in circuit testers.
Pushing wires back into breaker? please explain?
What style of receptacle in bathroom?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow