cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a van that has been sitting for years?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I've been searching and searching, but it's hard to find a van with the specs I want.

I just talked to a guy who is selling one. The catch is, he inherited it, and it has not been driven since his relative's death in 2012...and not much before that. Low miles! One owner. Garaged.

I'm going to check in out, probably tomorrow. I can look into the issues of expired tags, insurance, etc. But what should I be concerned about, mechanically? Is it bad to even start it up without siphoning out the presumably antique gas that's in it? Someone else already has, drove it 3 miles, the seller says.

I spent $1500 on my current van after a bad tank of gas last year. Cleaning injectors, new fuel pump, etc. Am I looking at those, at least? What else?

Thanks, youse guys, for any advice :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
27 REPLIES 27

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
If Naio has the ability to inspect and work on some of the stuff themselves, I'd say go for it. If anything during inspection before buying it sounds or checks out as being fishy, I would walk, no, run away from it.

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Late last year I bought a 1997 class A Winnebago. Had known the original owner since he bought it new in 1997. But, due to his health, this unit had been sitting 5 1/2 years, with tires on asphalt. It has performed flawlessly since I bought it and did the following:
Had the diesel engine checked by a diesel mechanic.
Changed ALL fluids; RV and Onan.
While changing transmission fluids, had a reputable shop check the
transmission.
Changed serpentine belt, but not hoses.
Installed new Michelin tires. Other tires were 12+ year-old Michelins.

Although this one-owner RV was 19 years old, and knowing his attitude toward maintenance, I figured it would be worth the time and money to revive it. It has performed to my expectations and more.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
1995 cars with carburetors were rare. Lessee a person advertises a car for sale without starting it. What'swrong with this picture? Sorta maybe kinda hard to believe -eh?

Unscrew gas cap. Snort fumes. If they smell like old paint thinner run don't walk. A four year old unmaintained car battery is going to start the car

Lemme up my ribs hurt

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a '99 Lincoln Towncar three years ago that sat for nearly five years. After cleaning the squirrels nest out of the air cleaner, jump started it and haven't looked back. New tires, rear air bags and a window motor car has not had any issues. Best $1500 spent and wife loves the car.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 1997 Xplorer 230XL in 2000. It had been sitting for almost 2 years as the original owner had gotten ill & then passed. It had 18,000 miles & I paid just under half of the original price. It test drove well. I had the oil changed and needed to replace both batteries, the roof mounted AC, and the tires. Then the muffler. I'm sure I had the brakes checked, but don't remember when they needed work. I would also check the belts, hoses, radiator coolant, and transmission.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you just have to have it, I would walk away. Vehicles want to be driven. When you do they lube up all the moving parts and seals. Just like a body if it sits for too long will slowly degrade. Running an engine will also create heat which gets rid of any water from condensation.

If there is any water in the oil, you could spin out a main rod bearing. If the rings are rusted in the cylinders, then upon initial startup you could score the cylinder walls. All of that will give you problems after the purchase.

If you have to have it, then I would do a little more research on how to start a vehicle that has sat for awhile. Some will spin the oil pump prior to starting the engine, others will drain all the gas, while others will pull the spark plugs and insert oil and let soak for a few days.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out all rubber - belts, hoses, etc. (not just tires), including fuel lines. Old fuel hoses can leak gas like nobody's business (and you don't want to be driving around trying to figure out why you're only getting 4mpg).

Other than that, it's really the same as buying any used vehicle (of any age). You've been driving your current van around enough to know the issues that are the most disastrous/expensive - focus on those.

96 isn't so old that there aren't mechanics to work on it - look for shops with mechanics in their mid-30's and older and you'll be fine. They would have been teens at the youngest when that technology was new, so would have worked on them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get somebody to check the engine and fuel tank. If everything looks good, do what you would do with an old used car - change battery and oil. Fully service the tranny - this will cost a bit more than oil change. 4 year old gas should be drained.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 years not driven on West coast, where condensation issues don't exist is not a problem, but 20 years old vehicle is several generations of technology old.
Can you still find mechanic who can adjust carburetor, or is it injection?
Typical check for the engine is compression check what can be substituted on cars by acceleration test. No idea how you can compare acceleration on old RV.
I would not start it on gas sitting over 4 years in tank. You can easy buy a small tank from lawnmower and run new hose to fuel system with fresh gas.
Old tank fuel strainer is very likely clogged with goo.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If it starts and runs smooth take a long drive and suck up what's in the tank. Then refill with Chevron Or Shell gasoline both of which have effective Urea cleaner additives. If the van is 30-miles from the coast and or south of San Francisco minimim worries about condensation in the gasoline. But do change the fuel filter within 30-days. Newer vehicles have carbon cannister venting for the gas tank.

No matter how things go get that battery load tested after a long drive. Unit is new enough to have ENGINE CHECK warning light. Keep an eye on it. And air up those tires. Drive 25-40 mph max until tires work out their kinks. 3-4 miles.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Probably need battery, and new tires, for starters. Then an oil and filter change, just to be sure. From there, I'd do the coolant, and then drive it back home and when got home, drain and change the filter on the transmission and the ATF fluid.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, swamprat01! It's 96, which is at the old end of my searching spectrum. (But low miles, for good or bad.) The van is on the west coast, so rust is rarely an issue.

What should I look at with the oil, other than is it full, and leaks?

I can look at all the normal stuff, and have a mechanic check it out. I am just wondering what things might be special to a long-sitting vehicle.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
What year is the van? Check for rust, check oil, new gas for sure, check the tires for age and cracks, in other words give it a good once over, Brakes etc.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game