cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camco/Marinco 50 amp Right Angle Adapter

RB211
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for information on the plug config on these adapters. From what I've read on reviews many, if not all, rv's have the male amp outlet at a different angle which results in the right angle adapter not going directly down.

The pics of both manufacturers of these adapters do not show the female end so it's impossible to determine if it'll work for me without ordering one.

If anyone has one of these and wouldn't mind taking a pic of the that female screw on end letting me know the orientation (where is 12 o'clock) I'd sure appreciate it. I've read where several people have unscrewed their outlet and were able to rotate it to match the adapter.

Thanks in advance...

Ron
'07 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
17 REPLIES 17

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
RB211 wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
RB211 wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:
The Camco Right Angle Adapter has the ground plate at 8:00 (looking at it from the rear as it is being plugged in). I had to rotate the receptacle on my Montana (an easy job) to match and allow the plug to hang down.

Phew....plus the Camco one is half the price of the Marinco.

There's a reason for that.

Bob,

If you can offer some more insight on the Camco product I'd like to hear it as the only things I've read to date are positive.

Thanks in advance..

Yes, I'll be happy to share a couple of points.

On the counter at my eater's parts department there is a display of shore power connectors, cord ends, and doggones in various stages of having burned up. Everything on the counter was a cameo product or some other aftermarket product. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a direct hit against the other manufactures as it was intended to show the results of bad contacts on shore power cords and CG pedestals. The products on display just happened to be Camco. I'm not saying that is can't happen with Marinco, and I'm sure it does.

The second point is in the course of 15 years doing marine air conditioning, 12VDC, and shore power installations and repairs on everything up to and including large houseboats, I have seen fewer equipment failures from products that were designed and built to withstand harsh environments. I'm sure some will argue, but a power cord that is outside in all extremes of temperatures and gets subjected to less than gentle use is in a harsh operating environment. Maybe it's coincidence, but I see fewer equipment failures from products like Marinco, Blue Sea, Ancor, Bass, and Paneltronics than I have with installations that have been cobbled together by tight fisted owners with components from Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Lowes.
Actually, I kind of like the cheap stuff. It keeps me in business, I just won't use it on my equipment, and I won't sell it. I decline a job before I sell someone something that they are going to be unhappy with and that is going to create a maintenance headache that I'm going to have to live with.

Look at it like this. If you see two similar items for sale and one is half the price of the other, why do you suppose that is? With the cost of raw materials being relatively the same for everyone, to undercut your competition, something has to change. You can reduce the quality of the materials you use, you can reduce the amount of materials used, or you can reduce the amount of labor going into it. There's just no other way to do it, short of taking a loss and you will make some people happy but you won't stay in business very long doing that.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
On a 50A plug, it doesn't matter male or female, the round pin is ground, the one opposite to it is neutral and the remaining two are L1 & L2(hots) They are all the same.

Uh, they are not talking the 50 amp park plug (your comments apply)

They are talking the marinco connector at the RV end of the cord.

(Your comments make no sense when applied to that port, NO round pin there)

Someone else properly described it.

And on my RV that ground plate is in the 5:00 position as I recall without looking.. So I'd need to rotate something (either plug or socket) as noted, an easy job.

Uh, I'm aware of that. I mistakenly though he was talking about the pedestal end, and I got sidetracked before I could change my post.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob Landry wrote:
On a 50A plug, it doesn't matter male or female, the round pin is ground, the one opposite to it is neutral and the remaining two are L1 & L2(hots) They are all the same.

Uh, they are not talking the 50 amp park plug (your comments apply)

They are talking the marinco connector at the RV end of the cord.

(Your comments make no sense when applied to that port, NO round pin there)

Someone else properly described it.

And on my RV that ground plate is in the 5:00 position as I recall without looking.. So I'd need to rotate something (either plug or socket) as noted, an easy job.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just E-mailed the OP.....I too have the Marinco and it does hang at a left angle and changing my 50 amp input was not going to be as easy as others so, I use it as is.....its a MOLDED Cord and it still serves the purpose of relieving the strain on the straight plug, I've been using it as is for over two years now.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just bought one of these and found that the situation you described exactly matched my installation. The plug in the wall of my RV did not allow the 90 degree adapter to hang properly and did not allow the plug to make a proper connection.
I bought a new plug for the RV and now life is very good! I wish I had done this years ago as I will no longer have to replace my power cord due to the wires twisting out of the end connector. The power cable now simply hangs from the adapter. Even better, the new adapter simply slips into place at about a 30-45 degree angle and then drops vertically to make the necessary connection. It's so easy, even a girl could do it! (My wife always struggled with our previous cabling but not with this so don't give me any .......)
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RB211
Explorer
Explorer
....and I'll assume from the Camco adapter users you've had no safety or quality issues with the product.

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
The Camco Right Angle Adapter has the ground plate at 8:00 (looking at it from the rear as it is being plugged in). I had to rotate the receptacle on my Montana (an easy job) to match and allow the plug to hang down.

X2 here also, took about 10 minuets to do...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

RB211
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
RB211 wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:

Bob,

If you can offer some more insight on the Camco product I'd like to hear it as the only things I've read to date are positive.

Thanks in advance..

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about the pedestal end, my bad. On the female, the ground is the plate and the attaching screw is going to be colored bream, and the neutral is silver colored. The other two will be hots. Both West Marine and Marinco's website should show the configuration also.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob Landry wrote:

It's a twist lock receptacle vs a plug in receptacle
Ground is a plate.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
RB211 wrote:
Carl n Susan wrote:

RB211
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:

That's encouraging....with my male at the 730-830, sounds like it'll fit straight in and then hang down.

Thanks

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line