cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't user 5er again this winter - replace red goo in pipes?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
For various reasons my RV won't be used again this winter. It was winterized a year ago. Does the alcohol evaporate (to where I don't know)?

Should I replace the RV antifreeze before the second winter stored outside in Canada?
30 REPLIES 30

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
blow the lines and put some pink in the traps.

THIS is the best advice!!! I forgot to blow out the traps and add antifreeze "ONCE".

No way would I use that SCMIDT in my potable water lines.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I always drain the water from the lines and tanks, then pump antifreeze through the lines. Then I drain the lines so the last thing in them was the antifreeze.

If I was you, I would not worry about this.
Yup!

Blow the lines clear, push antifreeze through the lines, and then blow the lines clear again. Anything remaining in the lines won't freeze.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boon Docker wrote:
No need to replace. Alcohol does not evaporate within a closed system. Just pour some more in the p-traps and you are good to go until spring.

^^^This.

Yes, technically trace amounts might be lost but not any measurable amount.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll see your one :R and raise you two :R:R

Thanks for the science.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boon Docker wrote:
Not sure what kind of water lines you have. Antifreeze was left once for two years in my trailer. Flushed the lines once after and there was no antifreeze taste or smell.

:R

Plastic is not 100% "impermeable" and can most certainly absorb/transfer odor or taste from one liquid to the next.

SEE HERE

"Does plastic absorb odors?
Plastic containers are very commonly used to store food. Many times, the food leaves an unpleasant or strong odor which does not go even after washing and drying the container. This is because plastic has a tendency to absorb the odor which then becomes very difficult to get rid of.

Also know, does plastic hold smell?

Plastic is also often a large non-polar molecule. The fragrance can absorb into the plastic and come back out later. Water and isopropyl alcohol are both polar and won't dissolve the fragrance very well. Soak that thing in detergent for a while to get rid of the smell.

Similarly, why can you smell through plastic? Smell is physical contact between molecules and sensory cells in your nose. If you smell something through a wrapper or bag, yes, the odoriferous molecules are penetrating through the plastic. Many plastics are porous to oxygen, which can seep in (it's called mass transfer) and spoil the contents.

"

"PEX" IS a type of "plastic" and is no exception to the party..

SEE HERE

"Odor or aftertaste caused by improper storage, installation or from municipal or groundwater (well water) water contamination. PEX, like many other plastics (i.e. polypropylene jugs used for milk and juice) may absorb odors. If improperly stored or installed next to a source of odor, PEX may transfer it (albeit, in small amounts) to water, resulting in unpleasant smell or aftertaste.
A number of residents living in areas with increased industrial activities (drilling, manufacturing) have also reported gasoline-like or chemical odor/taste in water. In both cases, these issues do not originate in PEX plumbing systems.

Possible solutions:

Install a water filter โ€“ see above.
Avoid installation and storage which may expose PEX to unpleasant or harmful odors."

Ahh.. "Science"..

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only way alcohol can get through PEX is the same way water can: if there was a hole already in the pipe to let it out.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always drain the water from the lines and tanks, then pump antifreeze through the lines. Then I drain the lines so the last thing in them was the antifreeze.

If I was you, I would not worry about this.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP here:

My lines are PEX.

I'm aware that I should put some more in the P-traps etc.

I just don't know if the alcohol can get through PEX somehow.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thing is. the antifreeze replaced the water in the lines. Unless you have put more water in the lines, there is no water in them to freeze. Remember winterizing just clears out the water, and it is the water that freezes. So no water, no freeze. I would not worry about it. You have already removed the water. It doesn't matter if there is antifreeze there or not. As long as there is no water.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We seem to go through this discussion every year.

Antifreeze is not used to protect the plumbing. It is used to flush out the water, the only liquid that expands when frozen.

Once the lines have been filled with antifreeze and flushed out the water it's perfectly ok to drain it into a bucket and use it to fill all the P traps. Antifreeze and water mixed 50/50 will freeze into a soft slush but will not expand enough to do damage.

I've been winterizing my cottage for 35 years, all copper pipes, no problems using this method and it always gets to -30F for a couple of days in Feb.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what kind of water lines you have. Antifreeze was left once for two years in my trailer. Flushed the lines once after and there was no antifreeze taste or smell.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV antifreeze will evaporate if left open to the atmosphere. The cheaper version (and the only version I can find in stores the last few yrs) is the alcohol and propylene glycol mixture.

The alcohol evaporates off at a much faster rate when left open to the atmosphere (open system).

Propylene glycol also will evaporate when left open to the atmosphere (open system) but at a much slower rate.

In a closed system, evaporation will be minimal to none.

Your pressurized water lines if valves are closed are a closed system.

Your drain traps however are a "open system"" and over time both components will evaporate off.. Will not do any harm unless there is fresh water that was added to the traps.. To ensure traces of fresh water has been removed from the traps just add a fresh splash of RV antifreeze to top off the traps.

Water lines, if they were filled with antifreeze, there still should be antifreeze in the lines..

The downside to leaving antifreeze in the lines is the plastic will absorb trace amounts of the antifreeze making it difficult to clear the antifreeze taste.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to replace. Alcohol does not evaporate within a closed system. Just pour some more in the p-traps and you are good to go until spring.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
joebedford wrote:
For various reasons my RV won't be used again this winter. It was winterized a year ago. Does the alcohol evaporate (to where I don't know)?

Should I replace the RV antifreeze before the second winter stored outside in Canada?

yes even if you are not using it you should flush it with fresh water in the spring then re-winterize it in the fall.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
blow the lines and put some pink in the traps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.