cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 2k Inverter Enclosure Ventilation Requirements

qwerty11
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wanting to build an enclosure for my Champion. What sort of ventilation requirements are there for the gen? I know the intake and exhaust are on one side and that would of course need plenty of air, but what about the other end where the heat sink for the electronics are at? Does there need to be flow though air or can I build a three sided box, with a couple inches of open space on the heat sink side, and open on the exhaust/intake?
4 REPLIES 4

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I fabricated for my Champion 3100/2800 watt 75531i inverter generator. With the control panel directly in front of you, the 3100 has the exhaust (both engine and cooling) on the right side/end and the heat sink (and engine cooling intake) for the inverter electronics on the left side/end.

Welded this generator cage out of 11 gauge, 3/4" square steel, coated in Plasti-Dip. It's secured to the toy hauler's generator/battery tray with 2 large bolts and 2 large padlocks. The black "covers" can be configured for travel (all covers installed), fueling (remove top cover), or for generator use (remove both bottom, end covers). I've tested it in 105 deg temps and in the rain and the covers work great in every configuration. As for security, sure, you can still steal it. The point is to keep honest people honest. It's the dishonest folks that kept me from purchasing a Honda generator--lol!! Oh, BTW, this Champion 75531i 3100/2800 watt inverter generator is barely noticeable inside my toy hauler when running. When the a/c is running you really have to strain to hear it.

MrWizard
your cpe 2000
the cool air intake is located on the end with the electronics
the end opposite the exhaust

if you enclose it both ends must be open
fresh air on the right , exhaust on the left

cover for rain if needed , but a noise enclouser is not needed
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a reason you need an enclosure? Just wondering. I have my Yamaha for nearly 10 years and have never needed an enclosure. If it rains I have a big rubbermaid lid that clips to the handles. Never had any issues.

byways
Explorer
Explorer
I'm watching for the answers given here, too. I have two Champs and desire to build an aluminum enclosure for the back of my TT. I would think that ambient temperature has some bearing on the answer as well as maximum operating temperature listed in the specs. My solution is to provide a power-ventilated enclosure with an adjustable ambient temperature sensor inside the enclosure. I even thought about proportional control dampers--but my cheapness will probably eliminate that idea.