cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check your Shore Power Plug & RV wire connections regularly!

lb311
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing for 10 years and full-timing for almost 2, but last month I nearly started my rig on fire due to my RV's 110 electrical system going haywire.

My problems started one night last month with circuit breakers flipping when I was running my ceramic heater. I'd been running the heater fine for weeks and my RV is currently parked for the season, so nothing had changed from the day before. Once I reset the breaker the 3rd time, things seemed to work o.k. again, but within a few days I started noticing a slight smokey smell whenever I was running a "high-demand" electrical appliance (i.e. space heater, microwave, hair dryer, etc). The appliances continued to work so I didn't immediately investigate the problem. But a few days later when I finally did, oh good heavens!

Opening the access panel of my power center/converter revealed some severely charred 110 wiring (all of my neutral buss wires were burnt to a crisp!). I stopped using 110 electric immediately, and the next day, the park's electrician came to check my outside power pedestal for any miswiring or other problems. It checked out fine, so the problem was deemed with my RV. The electrician suggested I start troubleshooting from my surge protector all the way to my power center/converter to look for loose or faulty wires.

Long story short, I discovered that the wiring inside my shore power plug had become faulty due to one of the screw posts rubbing against the ground wire's insulation until it finally wore thru. This created a "hot neutral" condition which then burned up the neutral buss wires in my power center as well as the neutral prong receptacle of my surge protector (that the shore power plug was plugged into).

So my tip to all fellow RVers is to inspect your shore power plug regularly (at least annually), and routinely double-check all your power center wiring (and any other RV wiring you can easily access) for any loose connections as well.

I thought my fancy $200+ surge protector would keep my rig safe from any and all electrical problems. Nope! It can't prevent the RV-side electrical problems, it only protects you from those lurking at the power pedestal! I learned a valuable lesson...and dodged a major bullet by getting this fixed before a fire started!

If you're interested in further details and photos of my saga... check out my blog posts here and here.
2007 Winnebago View 23J
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
http://winnieviews.blogspot.com
29 REPLIES 29

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
We've been down this road and what I wrote did not get translated to a STICKY so I shall refrain.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
An OP here lost all power in his Class C. I looked at the wiring diagrams and called him, asking he find the splice box where the hard-wired flexible shore tie cable met the solid interior wiring of the coach. He did, and the connections were burnt out. Re-connected and all was well. Called the RV tech he'd scheduled to come look at it and tech asked if he'd been using portable electric heaters. OP said Yes and RV tech said failure at that splice is very common and heaters are the common cause.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
I do not believe the people on assembly line installing electrical are certified electricians. It is all about speed not quality so I have seen

You do understand that the folks doing the wiring do not have electricity in their own homes?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first clue is heat. Plugs get warm when they are having problems - or sucking too much power.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
Mchero X2 , check all your electrical connections at least once a year. eg: power cord, auto transfer switch, breaker / distribution panel ! This is very important on NEW Riggs.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
I do not believe the people on assembly line installing electrical are certified electricians. It is all about speed not quality so I have seen

Exactly !!
The annual inspection for loose screws is not going to happen among 95% of RV'ers, (nor does it have to) so we can forget that.
I have run into a lot of loose connections in my life, but NONE that I had ever installed or tightened many years before.
I nearly lost a 200 amp box on my new home, at about 1 yr old, and all installed by a genuine elec tech. Had weird stuff happening under heavy loading,,,,A/C etc. Went looking, and when walking by the main panel, sounded like an arc welder inside,.....all because one allen screw in a buss bar. And don't even try to tell me that it was ever tightened correctly from day one. Did I need to inspect the elec tech's work ?? YES ! And only because the inspector for the electrical permit sure didn't !
My advice,...check all the connections for tightness maybe twice, a few days apart from each other, tighten them correctly,......or as tight as possible ????? They will not come loose, even if you go stump jumpin in your RV.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
lb311 wrote:
Wish I had the room in my shore cord storage bay for a hardwired surge protector. Unfortunately I don't, so I need to keep using the portable versions.

I don't either so I put the EMS under the sofa.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

lb311
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I had the room in my shore cord storage bay for a hardwired surge protector. Unfortunately I don't, so I need to keep using the portable versions .

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20. I had very little knowledge of my RV 110 electrical system before this incident, but now that I've replaced the power center and shore plug myself, I am much more aware and educated. Just sharing my story in hopes that others too will become more familiar with their RV electrical systems and the dangers it poses if not inspected regularly.
2007 Winnebago View 23J
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
http://winnieviews.blogspot.com

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
lb311 wrote:
Long story short, I discovered that the wiring inside my shore power plug had become faulty due to one of the screw posts rubbing against the ground wire's insulation until it finally wore thru. This created a "hot neutral" condition which then burned up the neutral buss wires in my power center as well as the neutral prong receptacle of my surge protector (that the shore power plug was plugged into).

I thought my fancy $200+ surge protector would keep my rig safe from any and all electrical problems. Nope! It can't prevent the RV-side electrical problems, it only protects you from those lurking at the power pedestal!

Ergo the reason I installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C inside the rig, downstream of the main service cable, and the reason I also wired the previous portable TRC Surge Guard that the EMS replaced the same way.

As already mentioned, your mistake here is not taking action sooner when the breaker tripped repeatedly, a sure sign something isn't right ... can't blame that on your surge protector.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent reminder.
If you're storing your RV for the winter, it's a good time to check everything. You'll be ready to go in the spring.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I keep close tabs on my electrical power with a digital display that is next to my kitchen sink. If it goes below 105 volts, I will shut off my A/C unit.

If it is dropping suddenly, like when the microwave is on, then that indicates a loose screw that needs to be found. If not by you, than someone qualified to check it out.

You can buy a 'Kill-A-Watt' for about $20 now, and it not only has a digital voltage display, but you can check the wattage of anything you can plug into it. Yes even the built in microwave if you can find the power cord, and plug it into this device. Check Amazon.com and search Kill-A-Watt - there are several vendors selling the same thing.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
People just love those detachable cords but how many have checked the wiring on the backside? I know, it's almost impossible. When I hardwired my power cord to eliminate the twist-lock inlet, I found the screws to be completely loose. This could have easily caused a fire. I just don't want a connection right there in a styrofoam and paneled wall.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Just about once/year I open my Xfer switch cover as well as the electrical panel under the bed & check ALL connections. I found mine B4 it started to burn! Great post! Thanks!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I started noticing a slight smokey smell whenever I was running a "high-demand" electrical appliance

That should have been your 2nd clue

1st clue was the repeated tripping of CB.

Glad you finally investigated.

RVs fires are FAST and quickly consume the rig.

RVs bouncing down the road is like your house going thru a 4.5 earthquake.....checking all the connections in your AC Power Panel should be a routine.
Unfortunately many folks don't have a clue about the dangers.

Thanks for posting your real world event.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31