cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning Battery Terminals

jffhlbrt1
Explorer
Explorer
I need information on how to clean battery terminals. I have looked through the forums but haven't found any information regarding this topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[COLOR=]Jeff, Steve, & Nala
09 Damon Challenger 371
09 Honda Accord
Bakersfield, CA
15 REPLIES 15

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The spray on yellow color battery cleaner that stains red when it detects acid WILL STAIN any surface it touches maybe except only glass. The PHENOLPHTHALEIN used as a detector agent is notorious for staining. I would use paper towels to sop up extra glop before finally washing stuff down with a hose. I sort of prefer not to pay several dollars for nine cents worth of baking soda.

On really badly corroded connections that look like a blue-green lump, I'll clean off the corrosion enough to get the lug off the terminal, then immerse it in a container of baking soda mixed with boiling hot water.

Battery corrosion in the eye can badly damage it. Yes, the eye not the corrosion. Wear goggles. WOOL is acid proof. I had a wool full length apron but shirt and pants will work just fine. Sheep grease, anhydrous lanolin found at any USA pharmacy works better than high-priced gunk, LPS-3, and other corrosion sprays containing both wax and clay (like the G.M. and CRC spray products) also work great. NoCo became too proud of their spray for me, and the Deka spray is pitiful IMHO. AllBatterySales.com sells the best anti corrosion product if you care to go through the effort of ordering it on line.

jffhlbrt1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I am going to give this a try. I will keep you posted as to my results.
09 Damon Challenger 371
09 Honda Accord
Bakersfield, CA

westend
Explorer
Explorer
jffhlbrt1 wrote:
I am planning on cleaning my house batteries which are pretty corroded. I bought a can of Battery Cleaner & Acid Detect to spray on. We are at an RV park with paved pads. Should I put anything underneath the battery area before cleaning these batteries?
No need as the neutralizer will do it's thing before any liquid hits the ground. You shouldn't need any more spray than to cover the terminals so don't use a whole can of the stuff. If you're trying to clean a battery box, also, then, yes, put a piece of cardboard under the box. If you want to control any over spray or runoff, put some rags around the battery. BTW, are you disconnecting the leads from the terminals? You may want to do that so you get any corrosion between the two that might effect continuity.

I use these types of sprays, occasionally, and they are effective. Also, very easy to use. The truth is, like Mex has stated, warm water and baking soda is a much more effective cleaner. If you have deposit build-up on the terminals or cable ends, I would use baking soda, initially, and the spray as a maintenance tool.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jffhlbrt1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am a little behind. I am planning on cleaning my house batteries which are pretty corroded. I bought a can of Battery Cleaner & Acid Detect to spray on. We are at an RV park with paved pads. Should I put anything underneath the battery area before cleaning these batteries?
09 Damon Challenger 371
09 Honda Accord
Bakersfield, CA

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we stopped to help a trucker that was broken down on the side of the road. No cell phones (see, I told you it was a long time ago) so he couldn't call his company. The battery was badly corroded. I don't go anywhere without a Coke. He said a Coke would fix the problem...I gave him one. He poured it all over the top of that battery, post and all. It boiled like crazy. After a few minutes to allow it to work, he got in and cranked the truck.

Taught me to never go without my Coke, lol.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
09FLSTC wrote:
Baking soda, water, gloves and a wire brush. Old T-shirt and pants is optional.

I Always Dress Up and wear My Newest Blue Jeans and T Shirt whenever I go Near a Battery ........ It really makes Me Look Sharp ...especially after the Clothes get their First Wash!

Instant Air Conditioning I look a bit like those Teens with the Semi See through Jeans and Tops!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
Baking soda, water, gloves and a wire brush. Old T-shirt and pants is optional.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
For the terminals and contacts that go on them, I never trust anything but removing a little material from both (i use a battery tool). Mine has a reamer and 2 size post scrapers.

Jim

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Using boiling hot water with the bicarbonate of soda will clean 10X faster than anything else I have ever used. A tea kettle with the baking soda mixed in is the easiest way. This method does not screw around. Almost instantaneous total cleaning.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, baking soda and water will get it done. I also use two spray cans, one is an acid neutralizer that changes color in the presence of acid and a protectant that seals the newly cleaned surface. Both are sold at Napa.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Boiling hot water, a gallon mixed with half a big box of baking soda will clean multiple batteries and trays. Hardware stores sell inside copper tubing wire brushes that last longer than auto parts stuff.

If the terminal/post mating surfaces have a hard crystal-like black coating, they will have to be scraped off with a knife. The post and lug will have to end up shined to a bright silver color.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
From Google

Directions:
1.Remove the battery cables from the battery terminals by loosening the nut on each cable clamp. Once they are loose, always remove the cable clamp from the negative terminal first. Itโ€™s marked with a minus (-) sign; the positive terminal has a plus (+) sign. Reverse the procedure, positive first, negative second, when replacing the cables. The cable may not come off easily. You will have to wiggle it and lift it upward until the clamp comes off the terminal post. Sometimes, especially if there is a lot of corrosion, you may need the assistance of pair of locking pliers. Be careful not to short any tools you use against the car when theyโ€™re in contact with the battery.
2.Examine the battery cables and clamps for excess wear or corrosion. Should damage appear extensive, replace the cables and clamps to avoid future problems.
3.Check the battery case for cracks and the terminals for damage. If you find either, replace the battery.
4.Secure the loose cables so that they donโ€™t accidentally flop back onto the terminals.
5.Pour some baking soda directly onto the posts.
6.Dip a toothbrush in water and use it to scrub the baking soda into the terminal posts and cable clamps. Skin and eye protection is recommended.
7.If the toothbrush isnโ€™t doing the job, Use a battery terminal cleaner brush on it. Also shine up the insides of the cable clamps by using the clamp cleaner that usually comes attached to the terminal brush or use a plain, soap-free steel wool pad.
8.Dry everything off with a clean, disposable, lint-free rag.
9.Smear grease or petroleum jelly on the posts to slow down the formation of corrosive deposits. Cover all exposed metal surfaces on the battery posts, battery cables, and clamps.
10.Replace the positive clamp first and then replace the negative clamp. Tighten them down with the proper sized wrench.
11.Replace the rubber boot or plastic shield that covers the positive terminal. If you donโ€™t have one, go and buy some from your local auto parts store.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Quickest and easy way it to use a can of Coke. Remove the cables, and clean with a wire brush to remove the big lumps and then just use the Coke to remove the corrosion and bring them back to shinny new condition. Rinse with water if you like.
Of course baking soda is the best known, oldest cleaning agent.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Autoparts store has all the stuff you need along with a lot of water from the hose.