cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter/Charger Questions.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
I have a one year old rig and thinking of replacing my WCO converter, or at least have a spare. Last season the stock unit quit charging for a day and started working again the next day. So confidence is low.

So shopping for a replacement but also thinking of upgrading the 2 6 volt batteries to Li batteries in the near future.

My questions are around the recharging.

My solar has a setting for Li so that should be good to go.

The truck is a 2020 Diesel bone stock ???

The stand alone converter/charger is a WCO and the amp rating is forgotten right now but I will be getting it before I purchase a replacement. I would expect I need to get a converter/charger that is LI compatible is that a correct assumption?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
21 REPLIES 21

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
If you are comfortable with the knowledge that these batteries can catch fire then go for it. Tesla's have Lithium Ion batteries and some catch fire. Just like those things the kids ride around on today, they can catch fire. Phones catch fire some times. That's why they don't recommend leaving them plugged in to charge over night while you are sleeping. Li-ion batteries are very sensitive to high temperatures. I use an AGM with a good amp hour rating and I don't worry.
This has been debated at length. This is not a concern with lifepo4 cells. It's a different chemistry from the lithium cells you're referencing.

Do you have a link showing a single instance of self-induced thermal runaway happening outside a lifepo4 cell? Would love to see it.

BTW, if you're YT fan, puncturing the outer case of a lifepo4 cell with a metal spear does not constitute self-induced thermal runaway outside of a cell. That's equivalent to puncturing the gas tank on a vehicle and having it explode. What's the point?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you are comfortable with the knowledge that these batteries can catch fire then go for it. Tesla's have Lithium Ion batteries and some catch fire. Just like those things the kids ride around on today, they can catch fire. Phones catch fire some times. That's why they don't recommend leaving them plugged in to charge over night while you are sleeping. Li-ion batteries are very sensitive to high temperatures. I use an AGM with a good amp hour rating and I don't worry.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are thinking of changing battery types then you need a programmable charger. Now... I'd suggest going with more batteries (Doubling what you have now for example till you upgrade) and in your case most Inverter/Chargers are programmable for Lead Acid, AGM. LI and more. Plus with 2 pair GC-2.. Can nuke your lunch.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Concur with time2roll's comment: Many to most "lithium" converters are not really good for lithium.

It's a very common misconception that a "lithium approved" converter is necessary to safely charge a lifepo4 battery/cells. Not true.

A typical, late model 3-stage lead-cell converter produces 13.2v/13.6v/14.4v. They will safely and fully charge a lifepo4 battery (only exception are WFCO's; they charge safely, but may not charge to 100%). There is nothing inherently magical or special about most "lithium approved" converters except the 14.6v bulk charging voltage.

Some may find this to be somewhat of an eye-opener, but you actually risk over-charging a lifepo4 battery if you float it with a single-stage "lithium approved" 14.6v converter for long periods of time. There is NO such risk with a lead-cell 13.2v/13.6v/14.4v converter. For two reasons. They bulk charge at a lower, safer voltage (14.4v), plus they drop down to 13.2v/13.6v float/absorption mode---preventing any chance of overcharging.

If you feel the need to upgrade to a "lithium approved" converter, seriously consider purchasing a multi-stage (typically 2-stage) lifepo4 converter. They typically bulk charge at 14.6v, then float at 13.6v. Stay away from any and all single-stage units.

P.S. Don't blindly buy into the simple notion that one must charge at 14.6v in order to charge a lifepo4 to 100% SOC (vs. 99.9% SOC at 14.4v). Unlike lead-cell batteries, lifepo4 do better when they are NOT sitting around at 100% SOC. So, what's the point---what do you gain by charging at 14.6v? To my knowledge, not a single thing (except maybe a few seconds reduced charge time and a few seconds of additional discharge time).

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Many to most "lithium" converters are not really good for lithium.

I recommend the Powermax PM3 MBA as a direct bolt in replacement that works.

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-mba/

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, your converter should be specifically capable of Lithium charging for best results. However, if you opt for a Lithium battery way way over your needs, other settings, while not fully recharging your new Lithium battery, may be adequate. In regard to Edโ€™s comment, I elected to cut off the TVโ€™s charging of my TT Lithium battery. I rely on my solar system and, as a backup, a Lithium AC to DC charger fed via the Silveradoโ€™s 120 volt plug when driving. Last in line is firing up my inverter generatorโ€ฆyuck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, correct that you should get a charger that is LiFePO compatible. Also, if the engine alternator charges the house battery bank, you likely should get a DC-DC converter for that charge line to limit current excess draw from the alternator. (Lithium batteries can draw a LOT of current when being charged)
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad