cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of propane vs gas generator.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have read a lot about the pro/con of gas/propane generators. I have an almost new champion 75537i 3100 watt remote start inverter gas generator. I am in the process of purchasing a used FW that comes with a built in Onam Marquis 5500 Propane generator. I am not paying extra for the Onam generator -- it is part of the deal so in effect it is free.

My question: Disregarding all the pro/con of the two generators and assuming I have access to both propane and gas at a reasonable price, which generator will cost less to rum? . . . :h
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
48 REPLIES 48

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I would argue that since propane is much harder to find that it is both more expensive and less convenient.

Likely not of concern with RV usage, however the statement that propane is more difficult to find is 100% mistaken if there is a area wide power outage.

Again, this is in my brick and mortar suburbs of DC in MD. Propane is easy to find, gasoline and gasoline stations with power can be near impossible.

Not making any suggestion re RVs.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any *portable* LP generator with remote start/stop?

The Champ dual fuel has remote start/stop on gasoline but the only way to stop it on propane is turning off the cylinder.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bear in mind that if the 5er has 30-lb portable LP tanks like I have on my TT, those are a lot easier to fill than the built-in tank on most MHs. With an auto changeover regulator, you can take one tank off and get it filled while you still have capacity in tank #2, so you are never totally out.

At 3 lbs/hr at 1/2 load (from post above) that means about 10 hrs of gen time before tank #1 is empty, assuming minimal usage for fridge and HWH.

I would be inclined toward push-button convenience of the propane, but I think a lot depends on how you are camping...

If you are using the gen just to charge the batteries and for occasional micro/hair dryer usage, then propane is the way to go. If you are going to park out on BLM land for a few weeks and run the gen 24/7 for a/c, then gas is probably your better bet.

I would use the built-in as the primary, and if a trip is likely to call for heavy gen usage, then bring the gas along and use it instead.

MrWizard
Gas is cheaper to operate
Any built in, is more convenient than portable
LP is not all that convenient
What it is ,
Is clean and always ready
It's great for home back up EMG power , if feed from a big on site 'bulk' tank
Like many homes use for heating
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some personal experiences using both fuels in my Superior onveted bus, A Chevrolet pickup with cabover camper then flatbed and various 6.5NH and 2.5 KW Onan generators. Over 100,000 miles of driving in USA and Mexico over 20 years and thousands of generator hours

• Propane runs cleaner. Pull spark plugs after 20,000 miles and the porcelain insulator is white. Zero coloration
  • Oil stays crystal clear even for a year or more
  • No running rich when cold. Ideal for starts and stops lasting a few minutes
  • Had no problem starting engines in sub F zero weather with PROPANE.

• All engines leaked lube oil more, out of gaskets, even brand new engines
  • Propane runs significantly hotter. I compensated with larger radiator but air-cooled generators may have an issue if enclosed
  • I compensated for power loss with auto engines with 12:5 to 1 compression ratio, huge valve heads, and large overlap camshafts
  • Generators seemed to lose 15% overall max Kw power potential
  • Problem diagnostics with propane is a new learning curve
  • Parts are never available locally
  • I had been refused repeatedly in the USA to fuel onboard LPG tanks at dispenser outlets in California and in Mexico.

Again, these are personal observations.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would argue that since propane is much harder to find that it is both more expensive and less convenient.

Lantley wrote:
In short gas will be cheaper to operate. LP will be more convenient to operate
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In short gas will be cheaper to operate. LP will be more convenient to operate
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Onan 5500 specs from the owner's manual:

Average fuel consumption: Gasoline
No load 0.3 Gal/h (1.3 L/h)
Half load 0.6 Gal/h (2.3 L/h)
Full load 0.9 Gal/h (3.6 L/h)

LPG:
No load 0.4 Gal/h (1.8 lb/h)
Half load 0.8 Gal/h (3.3 lb/h)
Full load 1.1 Gal/h (4.6 lb/h)

Maximum power: Gasoline-fueled models: 12.9 bhp (9.6 kW), LP-fueled models: 10.7 bhp (8.0 kW)
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gas will be cheaper.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
x2 Wizard
I modified a Champion to run on propane. Waste of money. Gasoline is on every corner. The biggest problem I have with my gas Honda 3000 is that it's in my truck bed and when I put the truck hood end of truck toward my FW pin I forget to shut the generator off because I cant hear it. I hear people complain about noise/vibration when gen is mounted in rv. Probably depends on rv and how well it's installed too.

What Chris says makes sense, fire up on board for heavy stuff run portable if doing long charging etc.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Propane is really expensive in my town for some reason, probably because I buy small amounts. It costs $20 to fill a 20 lb bbq cylinder.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would use the on board Onan just for quick rest stops, and the gas model for extended stays.
-- Chris Bryant

MrWizard
For any given power load, using the same size engine
You will burn more propane than gas to carry that load
If LP and gas are the same price, then it's cheaper to burn gas
Also the Onan has a bigger engine
If gas is $3 gal, then LP needs to be $2 gal, for it to cost Less for the same amount of work
This is the conclusions, i have come too
Because
The amount of energy per gallon at price per gallon equals work per dollar
And lp had less energy per gallon
Gas is easier to find, and usually cost less per gallon when going off the beaten path

There is something to be said for pushing the button on the built in Onan on a rainy morning,
There are pros and cons each way
I hope this helps you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C that had an onan genny would shut the genny down when we got to a quarter of a tank, so we wouldnt get stranded, with your 5er can you run out of propane altogether because of genny use? If so it could make propane runs a lot more frequent and bothersome. How much Propane does the 5er hold? and how long do you stay put?
I think I would make a couple trips with both and see if propane outages become a nuisance.
Also how big is the 5er? do you have two AC units? Do you want to use the Micro , coffeepot at the same time as the AC. All these questions come into play.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Pro You don't need add any stabilizer to a LPG tank if the generator is going to sit for a while. Gas you better add some or look to overhaul a carburetor.

My 6.5 LPG Generator uses a average of around 0.75 gal per hour over the 15 years I have used it. In 2016 I paid $1.924 a gal for LPG at my yearly fill up in my 40 gal tank. The most ever paid per gal was in 2008 at $3.101
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am