cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

deep cycle battery suggestions

Cstoliker
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a cost effective deep cycle battery for my RV that's got a rating around 200AH. Something that can run lights and TV (off an inverter) at night for manny hours and that can take a charge fast. Upwards of 45 amp at 15volts. I guess that limits me to lead/acid or possibly AGM.
Like to hear some opinions on what brand gives the best quality per dollar.
50 REPLIES 50

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
We got our six at a local golf cart dealer for $84/each plus tax. Don't recall the brand but they are sort of a pink/purple color.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
That is the kind of info. we need Ron. I will see if I have a golf cart shop or parts supplier nearby.

Update - Holy Cow! I called Nick's Custom Golf Carts over in Benicia and they sell the US2200 battery for $102.50 with a $30 core charge. Definitely call your local golf cart shops people! :B

Jose

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I found the Trojan 6 volt (T-105) for $110 at a large local golf cart shop. I told the owner why were they $25 cheaper than the best price online, not counting shipping and he said he buys close to a quarter million dollars worth a year! in batteries direct from a Trojan supplier. So his shipping cost are cheap.

Try a local golf cart store.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
I was told Sam's Clubs east of the Mississippi sell Duracell made by East Penn and out west they will continue to sell the Energizer? We are East of the Mississippi and I bought 230ah Duracell's last spring. So far so good. Time will tell.
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to find a quality 6 volt battery with 200Ah+ for less than $100. The only ones I find are "recycled" batteries that have horrible reviews.

The best price I can find on a Trojan T-105 is what I posted above. If ANYONE can actually get a good quality, 6 volt GC2 battery as described for less than $100, then they should post the retailer where we can actually buy them. If not, the sub-$100 GC2 battery sounds like a fantastic little "one that got away" story. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jose

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Because true 6 volt batteries are rare, heavy, and EXPENSIVE.

Define rare and EXPENSIVE. Most are saying they buy 6 volt deep cycles for around a hundred dollars or the same price as 12 volt versions.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently been shopping batteries myself.

Here is a great looking 12V battery.

Oreilly Auto 12V battery

Install a pair of those and you have 210 Ah and the price for two is not much more than the cost of a single GC2. I cannot find a GC2 for less than $148 (plus core of about $20) and you HAVE to buy/have space for two of them.

One benefit is that you could start with one 12V and then add to it, spreading out the expense and figuring out where you could put more batteries.

The twin 6V's are definitely a better overall performer, though.

Jose

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Gr8life wrote:
I read these threads and have one foolish question. While I get the superiority of six volt batteries, why doesn't anyone mention that 12 volt batteries make expansion easier and possibly cheaper? If you can't get by with one? Add a second. Still not enough? Buy a third. Not everyone needs to go from two to four when going from two to three might meet their requirements. I am not saying three twelve's equal six sixes.
Because true 6 volt batteries are rare, heavy, and EXPENSIVE.

Most all RVers use the cheap readily available hybrid or marine/starting batteries. They are simply not in the same class as a true deep cycle battery... But for light users that camp with electric hookups, hybrids will work fine.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A vendor I represented purchased 3,000+ LTH batteries 30-years ago and never had one returned for warranty. That's three years and 0.00% claims.

Mexican batteries tend to have the fewest plates per cell. Light in weight.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
3-cell or 6-cell has consumed hundreds of thousands of words on this forum. Not a silly question. But it stirs up the pot. By the way enjoy Sam's Club batteries - every last one is made by LTH in Monterrey, Mexico.

Well that explains it! No wonder mine are working so well. Well worth $360.00 for 4.

Cstoliker
Explorer
Explorer
After pricing out 12v battery's , it seams two 6V GC battery's are by far the most cost effective. It can cost twice as much for a single 12v then two 6v.

SAMs has Duracell 215AH GC for $84.00!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Installing 2x Interstate GC2s 232AH in sons 5er, make in Mexico, mfg date 2/15.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
3-cell or 6-cell has consumed hundreds of thousands of words on this forum. Not a silly question. But it stirs up the pot. By the way enjoy Sam's Club batteries - every last one is made by LTH in Monterrey, Mexico.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gr8life wrote:
I read these threads and have one foolish question. While I get the superiority of six volt batteries, why doesn't anyone mention that 12 volt batteries make expansion easier and possibly cheaper? If you can't get by with one? Add a second. Still not enough? Buy a third. Not everyone needs to go from two to four when going from two to three might meet their requirements. I am not saying three twelve's equal six sixes.
It's been mentioned many times on these boards that if a odd number of batteries meets your needs then use 12V. Or if you don't have the vertical room for the higher GC2s.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Gr8life wrote:

"POPCORN! PEANUTS!"

Apparently it was a foolish question. In someone's eyes. Sorry bout that.