cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delamination repair

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2003 Itasca Sunova 30B and I have delaminated on both sides of the RV. It's down low and almost the whole side. It also feels soft behind the areas as well.

What what I understand, the fiberglass is just a thin layer, glued to a thin plywood, that is glued to Styrofoam in a sandwich.

I've watched some videos where they drill small holes and pump in epoxy and "clamp" the fiberglass to cure. That seems like you're just gluing the fiberglass back to rotten wood and Styrofoam that has lost its integrity. Might fix a small area but seems like a waste of time.

I'm contemplating a major (Winter project) as follows:

Cut off bottom 2 foot of fiberglass sidewall.

Remove rotten plywood exposing Styrofoam and aluminum square tubing.

Allow time for RV to dry out if any moisture is present.

Spray expanding foam insulation anywhere the Styrofoam is damaged.

Cut spray foam off flush with sidewall.

Add more aluminum tubing where needed to "beef it up" and where seams meet.

Recover area with aluminum diamond plate, riveting and gluing to aluminum square tubing, sealing all seams.

Finished product would be a 2 foot wide strip of diamond plate going from front to rear on both sides.

I would also remove all windows and reseal EVERYTHING above that could have leaked.

I could paint diamond plate and lower (existing) storage doors to match.

Sure it will look like a repair but I really don't care. We've looked at new RV's and for 100 grand, I don't really like them any better than the (paid for) RV what we have. I've found the diamond plate in 4x8 sheets for 100 bucks a sheet. I think 5 sheets would more than do it. They also sell a trim piece that goes between sheets. I'd seal between each sheet and trim out the top with a molding.

It seems like a big project but the RV is in great shape. It has less than 20K on the clock and we've made it our own (so to speak) inside. If I could get this problem REALLY fixed, we could get years out of this RV. It's kept in the garage.

Seems like the way to go.

Thoughts?

All advice is welcome even if not followed ๐Ÿ˜‰
13 REPLIES 13

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Well I love the look of aluminum diamond plate and I continue to try to find a place to put some on my rv. That being said, I have done a lot of delam repair by removing the necessary moldings, prying up the filon and replacing the luan with new luan or the same thickness plexiglass with holes in it then clamping it with cargo bars against my garage. The adheasive I swear by is gorrilla glue for this. I believe it will last longer then the substrates. I line the idea of replacing the filon with al dimond plate. Make sure you do not cause any galvanic corosion. PS I am sure gorrilla glue will bond aluminium to aluminium (as strange as that soiunds.

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Interested.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bingford wrote:
Thinning the epoxy with a solvent could damage the styrofoam. The solvent will melt it.
The FG is bonded to plywood first then comes the closed cell foam. Most use a polyurethane or polystyrene foam which are not attacked by solvents in the resin.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bingford
Explorer
Explorer
Thinning the epoxy with a solvent could damage the styrofoam. The solvent will melt it.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It really depends on how bad the delamination is and how much damage there is to the substructure. There are a number of thin epoxies like water glass or git rot. You can also just add more solvent to epoxy or polyester resin to thin it down. The solvent will flash off leaving a good bond. To use epoxy or polyester resin the substrate needs to be completely dry which may prove difficult. I removed the window on mine and put wedges between the FG and the wood and foam and parked that side in the sun for 5 days. That still was not enough to dry the substrate. I also add acetone to replace the moisture which helped but still did not get all the water out. I ended up using polyurethane resin because it will react to moisture and cause a foaming action which will weaken the bond somewhat. If you have a lot of rot underneath I like your diamond plate approach, The .050-.125 plate will be stronger than .030 FG outer skin especially if you mechanically fasted to the Al framing. You can also use thicker FG skins or smooth Al skin to better match what you have now. Either way it will be a big project and good luck to you either way you go.

matt_m_
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.delamrepair.com/index.html

this is what i used..

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, the diamondplate repair would give you a better appearance than what you'd get by injecting e-poxy, but the e-poxy injection will give you a better structural repair.

When you cut out the damaged material you'll be removing the structural components of that area. The diamondplate won't replace that structural strength.

When done properly, e-poxy injection actually penetrates the damaged wood fibers and replaces the lost wood strength with new fiberglass strength. You would be surprised by how much strength you can restore through this method. Unfortunately, when you're all finished, you will see the repair "holes" where you injected the e-poxy. Unless you're an expert at body work.

For my money, I'd go with the structural repair over the diamondplate.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
I agree with Westend on this. I'd try the epoxy repair method 1st before cutting the bottom off all the way around the trailer. If you can get enough epoxy in there it should turn into a solid piece.

You guys are tempting me! I just worry that I'll be doing a bunch of work that will not last long. The diamond plate would last the life of the motorhome. But like I said, it's a wintertime project so I've got plenty of time to let it bounce around.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Westend on this. I'd try the epoxy repair method 1st before cutting the bottom off all the way around the trailer. If you can get enough epoxy in there it should turn into a solid piece.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm following this as well. That's a problem I might run into. I've seen a video or two on the epoxy/clamp method.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Your process seems like a lot more work than may be necessary. Most folks that DIY with delamination either tackle it through the inside, or inject epoxy adhesive from the outside. I'd suggest to do the latter.

If you can inject enough thinned epoxy into the interface of fiberglass and plywood skins, then brace and clamp until cured, you would probably end up with a reinforced wall. It helps to have a structure close to the RV like a garage or shed, something you can force a brace against to keep contact between the layers while curing. I would do small sections at a time (maybe six feet?) and use small, patchable holes to inject epoxy. The small holes could be filled, sanded, and painted when done.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in the responses, so I'm following.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10