cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnecting solar panel

Jonesz
Explorer
Explorer
May be a dumb question but is there anything I should be aware of when disconnecting my panel set-up from the battery. Will put electrical tape over the connectors when they are removed. Battery is toast and will need replaced. The fiver is currently stored. I want to take the battery out today before it freezes and possibly breaks. High today 0 deg C to drop to -35 C tonight!
9 REPLIES 9

Jonesz
Explorer
Explorer
I will crawl into the storage bay before rehooking the battery. It may well be that the company that installed the setup a couple of years ago in Yuma may have put a fuse in. The wind chill here is currently -44C with no hope of an upside for several days! Thanx for all the responses.
Jonesz

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a 30 amp auto fuse between panel and controller and pull that first.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your switch is between controller and battery, you need to be able to disconnect the array somehow before turning the controller back on.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Jonesz
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL- yes I guess that was my concern. I have already removed the battery but really wasn't expecting any harm. Mostly cause there is about 8 inches of snow on the panel tight now!
Bobmacc- It would likely be the ideal time to put a breaker in. Was sort of wondering about putting the breaker before the controller tho. The controller is in an ackward location and I must climb into the storage bay to do any work on it. That and unpack all the******that is stored in there. I am also assuming that the breaker would preferably go on the positive lead?
Thanx all for the help

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer
You should consider installing a switchable circuit breaker between your controller and your batteries while you have it disconnected. That will give you the ability to safely disconnect the battery terminals whenever necessary. Best bet is to get a DC circuit breaker from a marine store such as West Marine and install it yourself. They are compact and have screw terminals so installation is simple.

Bob

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It probably won't matter, just unhook it. However, I have seen controllers that say they will be damaged if you have the panels hooked up but no battery.
The safest approach is to unhook the panels from the controller before disconnecting the battery.

Jonesz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx both. Heading out to remove the battery right now before the "big cool down" starts,
Jonesz

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Connecting sequence is batteries first then array, so IMO disconnecting should be array first then battery. (might not matter disconnecting though) The controller programs run off the battery and it needs to power up first such as to know if it is on a 12v or 24v battery before the array is attached.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Most solar panels are attached to a controller, which is attached to the RV house battery. If that is the case, you should be OK.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A