cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY battery cable supplier

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Going to replace some battery cables and wondering where you folks purchase your lugs, cable and shrink tubing. Looking for the go to supply house.

Thanks
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
29 REPLIES 29

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sigh. I bought copper plate, cut it to convenient sizes and shapes then had it anodized.my remote alternator rectifier are 12c12 by 3/16" copper. 1600 amp 1275 PIV plating rectifiers. 1-1/9" studs, 2/0 braided leads.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
CAST COPPER rather than stamped copper lugs are the most durable.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee, McMasters good suggestion. I will look into them as well

GDEtrailer
Nice write up & pics. Great idea making your own lugs! I noticed those quality lugs can get up to the 5.00/pop! One pic looked like you sleeved that one end.

You guys got me thinking!
Thanks
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
and if your going to use cable larger than about 10ga (small wire number) look into a good hydraulic crimper, avaiable on ebay at reasonable prices. especially once you get to cable sizes from 4ga down to #0000.
crimp, cover with adhesive lined heat shrink. All of mine I used welding cable I cut to length, again cable cutters avaiable on amazon or ebay. Since welding cable is usually only available in black, I use red or black heat shrink as appropriate.

I do have a cable cutter that kinda looks like a big pair of pruning shears. I have a cheapo hydraulic crimper from I believe Harbor Freight.
Xantrex Freedom 458 feeding house batteries.
Going with 2ga stranded with 5/16 lugs finishing off with the sealant type heat shrink tubing.
Oh, on the heat shrink tubing, what size for 2ga with bell shaped lugs?

I noticed they also sell the little solder pellets but im sure crimp vs solder lugs would be another thread, subject.
I will have to google that one.

Thanks again for the reply's
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the ultimate source for people who like to design/build/repair things:

www.mcmaster.com (no affiliation)

If they don't have it, or, can't get it, . . . . chances are it doesn't exist. Their online catalog is also a nice reference for what's available without having to drive around.

Chum lee

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Made my own lugs using soft copper tubing, much more robust than any premade lugs that I have looked at.

Select soft copper tubing size that just fits over the wire.

Then crimp the tubing (I made an adapter from a piece of steel pipe sized just large enough for the tubing to slide in then used a vice to hold the steel pipe in place).

Then solder (hint, heat the copper pipe, not the wire, then test to see if hot enough to melt the solder by touching the solder to the edge of the copper pipe).

Then flatten the lug end and drill hole(s).

Trim lug length and connect.

Cost me not even a penny to make the ends for ALL of my battery connections and much heavier than what you can by. Tried this on my 250A stick welder when I needed to extend the leads. When to buy welder cable and lugs and realized those lugs were so skimpy that I could make my own and make them better and cheaper.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
and if your going to use cable larger than about 10ga (small wire number) look into a good hydraulic crimper, avaiable on ebay at reasonable prices. especially once you get to cable sizes from 4ga down to #0000.
crimp, cover with adhesive lined heat shrink. All of mine I used welding cable I cut to length, again cable cutters avaiable on amazon or ebay. Since welding cable is usually only available in black, I use red or black heat shrink as appropriate.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions people!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I get materials and use their tools at West Marine Supply.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered my new battery bank cables with ring terminal ends from AMAZON...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lugs are sized for SAE wire. Buy one gauge larger lugs for AWG cable

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Delcity.net

Quickcable.com

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
This is the best place for what you need. Parts and custom cables are their specialty plus prices are reasonable.
http://www.genuinedealz.com/about/

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most auto parts stores would have what you need.
Or, welding supply stores.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY