cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do these temps sound right

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I came back from the ocean last week. It was about 87 degrees outside and I towed for three hours nonstop. I took temps on the hubs as soon as I stopped and was getting around 110 on the front axel on both sides and 122 on back axels on both sides are these out of range and is it normal to have different temps on different axels
7 REPLIES 7

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
more important that all temps are consistent. taking temps is more for looking for something out of the ordinary.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Robert, those temperatures are well within the normal range.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Start checking your brakes/wheels on a regular basis, you will get an idea of 'normal' temps.

Normally if all temps are relatively close you're good. You're looking for a disparity in temps to find a problem.

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
Those temperatures sound normal to me. It is in the range of the tire temps on my truck and fiver.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My only guess is that the forward axle is getting more air flow. But that is really a weak guess.

Many truck weight stations now have infrared camera to take a picture of the trucks coming into the weight station. Any rims that are "Cold" indicate a brake not working. Any really high temperature reading indicates a brake that might be dragging.

Chances are that a dragging brake would be well over 200F, while one not working would have been closer to the ambient temperature.

My only question is how much did you use the brakes before measuring the temperature? It seems like the hubs are not much more than the outside air temp (you stated 87F). Normal running on a interstate would be about 10F - 25F warmer just because of friction in the hubs and tire flex. If you had been using the brakes a bunch, then they should have warmed the drums more - if the amperage was set high enough to have effective brake pressure.

You can also test each brake drum with a compos. Hold the compos near the drum, have someone push the brake on manually, and the needle should point N toward the rim.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
Drums on all

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Disc or drum on the back?