cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

does propane go bad?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a spare propane cylinder....then the thought struck me....does propane go bad after a while, like gasoline does when it's been sitting for a long time?
thx
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane is a by-product of petroleum refining and natural gas processing. Natural gas is processed to remove butane, propane, and ethane that can condense and damage pipelines.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you are confusing propane with natural gas. Propane is processed and can easily be liquefied by compressing it. Natural gas which comes directly from the ground can not be liquefied by compression and has to be chilled to very cold temperatures to turn it into liquid.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Propane comes out of the ground and has been down there at least a million years. Just inspect the container.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an aside I was given an 18 turn 4,000 watt Onan generator in 1988. It had last been run in 1982. A 20 lb bottle sat next to it. The hose was still connected. I pulled up alongside and ran jumper cables to the stator starter. Around 10 seconds later it was running smooth as silk. Propane has its drawbacks but storage and fuel quality isn't one of them.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
QCMan wrote:
It probably does but my guess is that you will be dust by the time it does so don't worry about it. Your tank will go bad way before that.

You, Your children, and likely their children. If it does. nobody has lived long enough to find out the shelf life... I think the tank would rust out first. And .. Well that too is not something I'd worry about as they are designed to NOT RUST.

The greater danger is leakage. Or expansion/contraction.
The first is obvious
The second... When the tank gets hot the contents expand faster than the tank. this drives up the pressure and there is a safety pressure release so it does not go POP (Followed by BOOM as it ignites)

Thus you can lose contents over time. But even that is LONG TIME.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I found a full 20 gallon tank that got covered under some tarps and building material. It had been there at least 10 years.
I used it our propane grill. No problems, worked great.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go bad? No. BUuuut .......... if it was filled, in the south, in the summer, it might be filled with something with a higher percentage of butane which might not perform very well in very cold weather.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
no

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Depending where its stored you could wipe out or blow out the little rubber seal on the propane tank before installing it for use. I also do that before the guy fills it up. To me that's the first item to go bad on a propane tank.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Compared to gasoline, diesel, and most other types of fuels, propane actually doesnโ€™t have an expiration date.
As long as itโ€™s safely stored, you can use it at its full potency 10, 20, or even 30 years down the line.
The only limiting factor is the propane tank itself.

Recertification 10 yrs after Date of MFG stamped on Collar Ring..
Visual Inspection good for 5 yrs then repeat every 5 yrs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have used the small propane bottles used for my Mr Buddy heater years after the original purchase and they work just as well as new ones.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane does not go bad, at least not in anything remotely resembling ordinary timeframes (and probably not in geological timeframes either). A DOT cylinder will need to be re-certified many, many times before any propane inside it becomes unusable due to age.

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
It probably does but my guess is that you will be dust by the time it does so don't worry about it. Your tank will go bad way before that.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member