cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge Quit Working

Adam_F
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dometic freedom refrigerator in my motorhome. Worked fine all last year. Worked fine for a month or so this year. We were away from the camper for 2 weeks. When we returned, the fridge was warm and all the food was ruined. The coils in the back were not getting hot like they were supposed to.

There was a windstorm that passed through with some lightning. I don't know if this had anything to do with it?

The light on the front panel is still lit. I popped the fuse panel off the back, the 2 fuses are good. Getting 110v to a few places on the board. The 12v input only reads 5.9v. I don't know if that makes a difference. The camper is plugged in to 120v all the time.

I've never leveled the camper, as it seems to be level enough on its own. I checked the bubble level on the side and it says about 2.5 degrees off. (not even sure if the level is correct, its an old motorhome)

Was the 2.5 degrees enough to slowly ruin the cooler? It worked fine for over a month like this, and all of last year. There is no ammonia smell (at least I didn't notice it over the smell of rancid meat) and I didn't see any evidence of a leak.

Unfortunatly I have no money to fix this with a new RV fridge. So, either I replace it with a standard 120v fridge, or I have an OLD dometic from the 70's I can get for free (not sure if it works)

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

16 REPLIES 16

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep if you only have 5.9 volts thats a good starting point check all the above and your battery. start at the battery .with no 12v even plugged to 120v it all starts at the battery.

ronfisherman
You need 12 volts when on 120 volts. Check your converter. Circuit Breaker for it may have tripped.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD