cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge Thermistor?

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel pretty silly because I just started figuring out what this thing is. Apparently mine wasn't even attached to the clip, but was actually hanging down in the drain pan.

Soooo, 1) do these things actually adjust the temp? 2) what would having it hanging down do to the fridge? And 3) how do you get it attached to the clip. Mine barely sits in the groove. Should it be at the top of the clip? Middle?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
acritzer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
acritzer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
NOT attached to the fins and just hanging will have the refer operate continuously. That may allow the lower section to get below freezing and freeze items in the lower section. Doug

Hmm. Ours certainly never got that cold. I moved it into correct position a while ago and feel like it's actually gotten colder? I'll just keep playing around with it.

The Evap fins will be 10 degrees COLDER than the items if the refer. So, If your refer is 36 degrees, then the fins are 26 degrees. The Thermister senses the Evap temp and NOT the temp of the refer. So, if NOT connected to the fins, the Thermister will NOT see that fin lower temp and continue to operate. As I stated, it MAY get to freezing or below, but it will allow the refer to run colder than the Auto preset of the Thermister. The ONLY way to test the temp in the refer is to put a cup of water in the shelf and test the temp of the water after 24 hours. Testing the air temp is no good. Doug

Is "tricking" the fridge in this way inherently bad for it? Without knowing it I've been using ours this way for the past year. Say 10 different trips? It's never frozen up and it's sometimes struggled on hot days (to stay quite cold)

NO. Running an Absorbsion refer 24/7 will not harm it. There are NO moving/mechanical parts to wear out. Doug

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
acritzer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
NOT attached to the fins and just hanging will have the refer operate continuously. That may allow the lower section to get below freezing and freeze items in the lower section. Doug

Hmm. Ours certainly never got that cold. I moved it into correct position a while ago and feel like it's actually gotten colder? I'll just keep playing around with it.

The Evap fins will be 10 degrees COLDER than the items if the refer. So, If your refer is 36 degrees, then the fins are 26 degrees. The Thermister senses the Evap temp and NOT the temp of the refer. So, if NOT connected to the fins, the Thermister will NOT see that fin lower temp and continue to operate. As I stated, it MAY get to freezing or below, but it will allow the refer to run colder than the Auto preset of the Thermister. The ONLY way to test the temp in the refer is to put a cup of water in the shelf and test the temp of the water after 24 hours. Testing the air temp is no good. Doug

Is "tricking" the fridge in this way inherently bad for it? Without knowing it I've been using ours this way for the past year. Say 10 different trips? It's never frozen up and it's sometimes struggled on hot days (to stay quite cold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
acritzer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Interesting, we do that in an effort to keep things below 40-50 degrees or so. Is there some debugging process that we can go through to see why we have to do this?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
This is how & where it mounts.

Also, remember that moving it up for cooler & down for warmer.

Or, North - cold / South - Warm

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You are basically changing what temperature the thermistor is sensing by moving it, so generally higher up will be in warmer air, so make the box cooler.

-- Chris Bryant