cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic New Generation refrigerators

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently been dealing with a failing Dometic 2 way refrigerator. I have finally decided I am going to have to bite the bullet and shell-out for a new one. The one I have is the original in a 2002 Bigfoot RV so it is no spring chicken. The model number is RM2652 and in searching for a new one I find that that model is still available but Dometic also has come out with a "New Generation" of fridges that claim to be an improvement and for our model they call out number 3762. What I'm a little suspicious of, is they claim to have upped the capacity from 6 cu/ft to 7 cu/ft but yet it fits in the same cut-out.

I am hoping someone has experience with these new models and can enlighten me a bit on whether they are an improvement or should I stay with the RM2652. The best price I could find for the RM2652 is $1050.00 and the new 3762 is $1300.00. Thanks for any thoughts.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity
25 REPLIES 25

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The yellowed plastic is a sign the ammonia leak was inside the box.
-- Chris Bryant

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JC refridgeration makes a great low consumption compressor conversion for your fridge in either AC or DC. Linkaroonie

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truck camper magazing has an interesting article on the Dometic/Danfos compressor refer. It is posted online

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Less than 500 bucks for a Amish cooling unit if everything else is good. Or, how about upgrading to a 12V compressor refer?

That would be attractive if our RV style was not off the grid so much. I think you would need to be plugged into shore power every night to keep the batts recharged. I admit though, I have not checked into those.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd go for a compressor type.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Travelin2 wrote:
Dometic also has come out with a "New Generation" of fridges that claim to be an improvement and for our model they call out number 3762.

HA......HAHA........Muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Whats probably "new" is they're put together in China from cheaper and lighter parts with a significantly increased percentage of plastic than your original 17 yr old one.

I get where you're coming from Ralph. I would just replace the heating unit in my old one except the previous owner appears to have used some sort of cleaner that made the interior become yellowed and it drives The Boss crazy. Where ever they didn't/couldn't wipe, it is still nice and white. Whenever I hear "new and improved", I also get mighty suspicious.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Less than 500 bucks for a Amish cooling unit if everything else is good. Or, how about upgrading to a 12V compressor refer?

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
That extra space is very attractive. Dometic claims to have gained it by using an improved insulation material. Supposedly it is the replacement for the RM2652 but I can help but think of the old saying about "stuffing 10 pounds of s**t in a 5 pound bag". It usually doesn't turn out well. I'm hoping someone on the board has done this switch and they will know more about the details like whether the gas inlet remains in the same location/orientation so the gas line doesn't need alteration. I have not been able to find reference to the fact that the same Ammonia based refrigerant is used or not.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't see a ton of differences. I would get the new one for the larger space.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelin2 wrote:
Dometic also has come out with a "New Generation" of fridges that claim to be an improvement and for our model they call out number 3762.

HA......HAHA........Muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Whats probably "new" is they're put together in China from cheaper and lighter parts with a significantly increased percentage of plastic than your original 17 yr old one.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe the new one is deeper? Check installation manuals for sizes. It would stick out farther into the rig if so, or else it would shrink the vent in back. IMO buy new model for that little a diff in price.

We had an 8 cu ft in the 5er but a 6 in this C, and miss the bigger fridge. Especially the door pocket sizes --too narrow in this 6 we have. If the new model with 7 has wider door pockets, go for it.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.