cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic or Norcold

Heathrm
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my refrigerator. The local dealership said that they have many more service calls for the Norcold than the Dometic. I am looking for some feedback in which direction to go with. The original unit was removed 5 years ago, when I got the trailer. I just used a small dorm unit until now. I need/want the LP option and am ready to pull the trigger. Is there really much difference with the two? Seems like there are recalls on both brands.

Thank you for your help.
2004 Ford Excursion Limited 6.0
2011 LaCrosse 318BHS
14 REPLIES 14

Heathrm
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a small dorm unit in there for quite some time, and it is no longer working for us. I am going to re-measure the opening and see which fits better. I would be going with either the n641 or the Dometic Classic 6 cubic foot. They are both very similar models, with the Norcold being $100 cheaper. I appreciate the input. I spoke with the guy in the parts department at PPL and he basically said they are virtually the same. The key is to use them and not let them just sit.

Thank you!
2004 Ford Excursion Limited 6.0
2011 LaCrosse 318BHS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you have the opportunity to change things out you might also want to take a look at the household fridge option. It may not be an option for your particular setup as you need an inverter and sometimes additional batteries, but now is the time to make that consideration.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Old Servel refrigerators for homes weighed a ton. The steel in the cooling plumbing was high nickle content and twice as thick as the soup can steel in today's units. Coolant has changed very little Hydrogen embrittlement and impingement on steel still goes on.

Add whoopee Zoomie gimmicks and if you get a unit that lasts more than 5 years in moderate or high usage, count yourself lucky.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Dometic RM2862 has been trouble free.

It has been ON for 7 yrs.
Temp control goes from 1-5. We have only had to use #3 in hot and #2 in cooler weather.

Other than routine cleaning and running it level haven't had to do anything.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
From reading on here over the years it appears that Norcold's either catch fire or refuse to cool properly. While Dometic has had a few recalls by and large they have been good trouble free refers.

My Dometic caught fire.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They both have had too many failures and recalls. The only thing that concerns me more about the Norcolds is the reports of broken hinges and an inability to get a replacement part without buying a huge expensive assembly. (maybe someone will comment on that issue..)
Otherwise I would buy which ever one you get the best deal on.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the one that fit your space the best.

In talking with the people that I encounter in my RV travels about fridge issues, it appears that there are just more Norcolds out there than Dometic. Could be the reason for more service calls/issues.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
It seems to me, based on my own experience, that the biggest problem with any type of refrigerator in an RV is how it is installed. Many of the manufacturers do not strictly follow the guidelines provided by the refrigerator OEMs resulting in poor performance. The key to good operation is making sure you have an excellent way of expelling the heat. This becomes an even larger problem when the refrigerator is installed in a slide or in a small RV where a roof exhaust isn't possible or practical.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
macsplinter wrote:
I've had both, no trouble with either one.

x2
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

macsplinter
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both, no trouble with either one.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would buy the biggest residential refrigerator that will fit in the space, an inverter, another battery, and a Honda generator to recharge the batteries when not hooked to shore power.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
From reading on here over the years it appears that Norcold's either catch fire or refuse to cool properly. While Dometic has had a few recalls by and large they have been good trouble free refers.

This is because you have selective reading. BEFORE the Norcold 1200 recall (the so called fires you have read about), Dometic had a black eye from REAL fires on their recall a few years ago. The Dometic recall involved numerous models and millions of refers, just not 1 model like the Norcold. Remember, If there were ONLY Chevy and Ford that made cars, ALL the problems and recalls would be big news. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ford or Chevy is the choice you have. BOTH are equally as good. If I had a choice, I would go Norcold because the insulation on the case of the box is better in my opinion. Doug

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II