cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic RM2820 Not Getting Cold

kcny
Explorer
Explorer
So of course I waited till the last minute to check my fridge (first camping trip tomorrow)....

Last night at 8pm I turned on the fridge, set the temp button to #4 and pressed the Auto button. I am plugged into shore power and the fridge correctly chose AC as the source. I also check that the heating strip between the doors worked and so I turned that switch off and left the fridge start to cool for the night --- which would be the first time i have used the fridge.

This morning before leaving for work (some 10 hours later), the fridge/freezer is not cold AT ALL.

I grabbed the manual and read the electrical diagram - I have 12V and 120V coming in at the right spots, circuit breaker is on and both fuses on the control module are good. I can also switch to gas and hear the pilot try to lite (I have my tank off so didn't let the fridge run on gas).

Then I get to the part of the manual about the RV must be level. I have had the RV parked for a good few weeks in my driveway, which is in fact mildly sloped. Is it really "that simple"?

I can temporarily move my RV to the end of my lawn where it is level to test - how long should it take to know if this is the issue? Does parking on an unlevel surface cause any permanent damage? Should I hear any noise indicating the cooling part is working (I ask because I hear absolutely nothing now and just turned the fridge off before coming to work).

Any help/tips on how to diagnose would be appreciated, otherwise I will bring a cooler with ice for the weekend to store my perishables.
32' 1992 Holiday Rambler 1000
20 REPLIES 20

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Change the refer to LP.
Your element could be bad, fuse blown on circuit board, 120 volt circuit breaker tripped or off in rig or a bad relay on circuit board

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

homer1951
Explorer
Explorer
Did you make sure that the element is working? (Is the burner tube hot to the touch)If not, try it on propane for a few hours and see what happens. If it is hot then the cooling unit could be blocked from sitting over the winter. If you can't take the fridge out and "burp" it to stir things up, sometimes just taking it for a long ride on a bumpy road will be enough to get it circulating again. If that still doesn't work, the cooling unit might have to be replaced

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I can usually tell the freezer is cold in about 3-4 hours.

For checking level, I just use an app on either Android or the iPhone. If I'm within 3 degrees of level, life is good, otherwise, I get the boards out.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than half a bubble I would adjust up or down to get it more level. On gas I usually see some cool in a hour or so. But it could take 5-6 hours before you feel anything.

kcny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip - i have done nothing but what I originally posted. I don't recall seeing a sensor on the fin, but will check more closely. When I get home, I will check by switching to gas. How long should it take to tell if it is getting cold?

....i am probably more than 1/2 a bubble front-to-back. You won't fall over walking down the aisle, but you can definitely tell you are on a slope ๐Ÿ™‚
32' 1992 Holiday Rambler 1000

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you also checked the temp sensor on the fins? It may have gotten moved by accident. If your trailer is within 1/2 a bubble it should be good. Next thing to check would be to turn on the propane and force it to switch to gas and see what happens. I suspect it is a simple matter of your electric element being dead.