Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please help with gas connection

Outlander
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all.

I recently purchased a new toy hauler and wanted to tap into the gas line (Propane) to be able to hook up my Camp Chef attachment. The end of the propane line (1/2") has a "T" in it where the 1/4" copper refer line continues, and then another "T" below that where the 1/4" copper heater line connects. The other side of that "T" just had a cap in it, so I removed the cap, and hooked in my Camp Chef connector with a 1/4" coupler and re-installed the cap on the opposite side of the Camp Chef part (See picture). Trouble is.... I have no propane flow to my Camp Chef, but the refer and heater work perfectly... what have I done wrong here?

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike

7 REPLIES 7

Outlander
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, thanks everyone for the help... I see what the problem is now... I have a high pressure hookup on the low pressure side of the propane system.

I have an "Extend-a-flow" system already, I just wanted to stay away from hooking up to the propane tanks on my new trailer because there is a fancy cover over my propane bottles. I will just undo the connections I already made, put it back to stock, and run my extend-a-flow hose from the tank output, under the tongue, and have it stub out somewhere near the entrance of the trailer for convenience.

Much appreciated.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Some Coleman folding trailers came with a 16 psi port for their 16 psi Atwood unregulated high pressure stoves, regular Coleman propane stove (15 psi) prior to that. At the cylinder it went thru the high pressure regulator and teed off to the side of the trailer, the other side went on to a low pressure regulator for use inside.

Viking offers 30 psi outside on some pop ups.

CampChef offers a 'RV connection' for use with their low pressure stoves (regulator removed)).

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Propane quick disconnect you show in the picture (lower right) is a High Pressure" type fitting, it is designed for propane under around 100 PSI of pressure (more or less depending on weather conditions).

It appears you have installed it on the LOW PRESSURE manifold. That is 11" of water pressure or about 1/2 PSI, not nearly enough to feed a high pressure grill.

(High pressure grills are ones designed to be fed by a disposable bottle or a tank with adapter hose)

If this is a trailer get a Marshall Brass "Extend-a-flow"

If it's a motor home,, then go with the Extend-a-Stay

the "Stay-A-While" by, I think Mr Hearer is an equivalent product to the Extend-a-flow from what I understand.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Can't say I've ever seen an RV with a high pressure line to the quick disconnect. Maybe it was rigged up that way by a previous owner who didn't want to remove the regulator from his grill?

Anyway, sending gas through two regulators will indeed prove non-functional, as you found out.

If you regulate the burners on your Camp Chef via a knob ON the regulator, you've got a problem. If, however, the regulator is separate from the burner control knob, all you need to do is remove the Camp Chef regulator and plumb that baby right to the line you just installed. Well, ok, maybe through a quick disconnect.

For what it is worth, I would consider a high-pressure gas line to be a bit of a safety hazard. Gas regulators have a flow rate limiter in them, and the longer the high pressure unregulated gas line is, the more chance of bad juju in the event of an accident, as well as simply increasing the places likely to leak due to the high pressure.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does the Camp Chef say it needs for pressure? Your TT regulator should be set for 11 inches of water column. If this is what the camp chef needs your good to go by removing the regulator. Just remember the regulator has to go back on before you hook up to a gas bottle.
Can you put the connection from the trailer between the camp chef regulator and stove then you would not have to remove the camp chef regulator.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Outlander
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
How have you determined no flow?

Does the camp chef have a regulator and expect higher pressure or has it been removed?

I think you just found my problem. The Camp Chef does have a regulator at the grill.... so I'm trying to send regulated pressure through a second regulator... right? Any way to make this work, or do I have to hook my Camp Chef directly to my propane bottle at the front of the trailer? Is it safe to bypass the regulator at the Camp Chef stove?

My last trailer had a quick connect hook up next to the steps, just like what I have installed here, but they must have bypassed the regulator and sent it straight from the propane tank...

Thanks.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
How have you determined no flow?

Does the camp chef have a regulator and expect higher pressure or has it been removed?