cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E-Z lube axles

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Rockwood came with E-Z Lube axles (not to be confused with Bearing Buddies).
Has anyone actually used this feature?
(Alert: I'm a retired ASE certified Master Technician. Please, there is no need to explain blowing out hub seals, the wonders of inspecting and hand packing bearings, the opportunity to look at the brakes, etc.)

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
29 REPLIES 29

GaPete
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
I used them on a 5ver -once. Never again.

Called Dexter about this, they said they wish RV manufacturers would not use them. They are intended for use only on trailers that get the axles submerged in water, such as a boat trailer.

I replaced the seal I blew out using the hand-pump-and-spin method, and hand-packed them after that experience.
As I understand it, that is what Buddy Bearings are for, not EZ Lube bearings.
Buddy Bearings have a spring to maintain pressure when the wheels are submerged and quickly cool. Otherwise water would be sucked into the bearing. I think a lot of people confuse the two concepts.
JMHO

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
I used them on a 5ver -once. Never again.

Called Dexter about this, they said they wish RV manufacturers would not use them. They are intended for use only on trailers that get the axles submerged in water, such as a boat trailer.

I replaced the seal I blew out using the hand-pump-and-spin method, and hand-packed them after that experience.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I have used them on 3 trailers with no bearing or brake issues. I will continue to use them. I do think it helps to go slow with just enough pressure to get the job done. I don't frantically pump to get it done quick.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
No issues with my 2010 Fuzion with the EZ Lube hubs. Like several have posted, spin the wheel while slowly greasing, and watch for new grease. Works for me. I also use a manual grease gun, and it took a lot of grease the first time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
You just need to use trigger control, like anytime you use any gun.

LOL!
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Have them, use them, no problems. I do use an air powered gun. You just need to use trigger control, like anytime you use any gun.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

michael8rc
Explorer
Explorer
Like other say, use a manual grease gun and spin the wheel while pumping in the grease. First time took 3 grease cartridges and the following years only took as much grease as you want to inject. Just take your time and only pump if the grease is coming out. Spin the wheel to help with the process. Air operated grease guns will blow out the seal.
1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
Have them on my Montana but will not use them. I pull wheels off and inspect brakes and bearings every spring then repack at that time. Waste of grease filling up the void between the axel and center of the brake drum to get grease to the front bearings.
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I used them on my 5er. No problems with seals or brakes.
I followed Dexter instructions carefully. Pumped slowly with a manual hand grease gun, continuously turning the wheel while pumping to ensure the grease gets thru the inner bearing with minimal pressure, and pumping until I saw new grease coming out the front. It did take a lot of grease.
Anyone saw me probably wondered what the heck I was doing sitting on a box, one leg up in the air turning the wheel with my foot, while I used two hands to pump the manual grease gun.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the E-Z Lubes on 4 trailers. Never had to replace bearings or brakes on any of them. They work for me.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I used it ONCE. Had to replace my brake shoes later. Even Dexter techs. don't recommend using it.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Rockwood came with E-Z Lube axles (not to be confused with Bearing Buddies).
Has anyone actually used this feature?
(Alert: I'm a retired ASE certified Master Technician. Please, there is no need to explain blowing out hub seals, the wonders of inspecting and hand packing bearings, the opportunity to look at the brakes, etc.)

Teach

I have the EZ lube bearings. It is interesting that Dexter recommends an annual bearing check, cleaning and repack even with EZ lube bearings. So, I guess I don't really get the advantage of the bearings for fifth wheels and travel trailers. Once, I used the EZ lube grease nipple to add more grease to the bearing. It takes a lot of grease and gets very messy later when checking the races and bearings.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
please do a search, this has been written about Ad nauseam.

I had problems, like many other doing this. And yes I did it properly.

IF you want to take a chance on messing up your brakes...go far it.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on my boat (21ft) trailer and RV and have had them on many other trailers I owned over the years. They work as advertised. Never use an airpowered grease gun to add grease. I jack up the axel and rotate tire as I pump in fresh grease. Never had a bearing failure even on the boat trailer.

GaPete
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on my Crossroads Seville as well as my utility trailer. Work as advertised for me.